Fermentation issue.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a batch on Sunday. I'm doing a lager, so I made a started on Wednesday. Kept the starter at 53. BTW, this is my 4th lager. When i was cooling down the wort I couldn't seem to get below 75. So I racked to a carboy and placed the wort in my lager chamber to get down to low 50's. When I got the temp down I pitched the starter. One thing on this batch I didn't do is aerate the wort since I let it sit for a while in the lager chamber then just pitched. Anything I can do to get this batch started. One thing I just did was take the carboy out of the freezer to warm up a bit. Is that A good Idea or what? Now I know you can't tell active fermentation from just the airlock, but ugh!!I would feel more comfortable with some activity..:)

Whenever I have a slugggish start, I will put the fermenter on a towel on a smooth surface and get a good swirl going to get the yeast resuspended and add a little O2. I may do this several times in a day until I get airlock activity.

Sometimes I get instant airlock activity which tells me that it was already fermenting and the CO2 had just not begun to be released from solution.

Back