Making some changes to the brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the cold months here and not going away anytime soon I need to figure out how I'm going to brew. I can't just roll the tower out into the back driveway like I did this summer.
So I first took the little 2.5" casters off, those sucked on my stone driveway anyways so I always had to roll it on onto boards. I added some 10" air filled casters
Now it rolls on the stones nice as can be. What I'm thinking is that my celling hight in my back garage is only 8 foot I can't brew in there but the front garage is 10 foot and there is no drywall on the rafters which in turn gives me a gret deal of room. So I'm going to add a floating trailer hitch to it so I can pull it up front with my tractor. But I have not done this yet.

Now my next problem. With this thing so damn tall I have to go up and down a 6 foot ladder to fill my HLT. I woulf rather not do that in the winter when the rungs could ice up on me. So I piped the tower.
I have a low point drain that is also my water hook-up. I just take a water line like you would use on a camper or motorhome and hook it it up to the tower. Then there is a pipe going up to a valve that feeds water to the HLT thru the lid. I will either need to strap the lid down some how or just feed the water easy so as not to blow the lid off.
There is also a pipe going to the other end of the tower with a valve. This will serve as a way to top off the pot if I was doing an extract batch or what ever else I may need water for and it will also hook up to my CFC for chilling it.

I think I may add a splitter to the main hook-up so that I can hook-up both hot and cold water.

105357486-MVC-690F.JPG

310927687-MVC-697F.JPG

32914669-MVC-698F.JPG

38072020-MVC-696F.JPG

I really don't want to be that guy but I don't see a fire extinguisher in any of the shots, yet I see lots of wood and gasoline and LPG containers. You do keep one handy when brewing, right?

Maybe I'm just kind of anal about this (no EF references, please...), but I keep many extinguishers around the kitchen and garage. They're cheap and available at all the home stores these days.

Otherwise, nice setup.

ma2brew said:
I really don't want to be that guy but I don't see a fire extinguisher in any of the shots, yet I see lots of wood and gasoline and LPG containers. You do keep one handy when brewing, right?

Maybe I'm just kind of anal about this (no EF references, please...), but I keep many extinguishers around the kitchen and garage. They're cheap and available at all the home stores these days.

Otherwise, nice setup.
I have one hanging on the back wall of the garage. But when I brew I'm outside, the burners are bolted down so no chance of them moving to close to the wood. At no time in the last 6 batches I have done with this has any of the wood even got warm much less hot. And unless it's a gas fire, I have a water hose right there.

homebrewer_99 said:
Just a thought about brewing in the garage...won't all that sweet wort steam hit the ceiling?

After a while I would be concerned about attracting creatures who like sweet stuff...;)

Unless I'm mistaken, sugar can't evaporate. If it did, then your gravity would drop along with your volume.

Back