Statute of Limitations - Smacking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinBrewDawg

Reaction score
So I had my Saturday planned out to to brew my first Oktoberfest (AHS Oktoberfest/Marzen) and I smacked two packets of Wyeast 2633 (Oktoberfest Lager) at about 3 p.m. Well, shortly thereafter SWMBO decided that we should go out that evening for dinner. My Sunday was super busy, so I wasn't able to brew until Sunday evening and it was about midnight before I got to pitch the yeast. It's been fermenting since then in my chest freezer set to 65-70. There is airlock activity, but it is slow (I've only brewed ales up to now, so that's my frame of reference).

My question is, what's the longest you've pitched prepared yeast after smacking? I know they'll tucker out and die. My plan was to pitch 200 billion cells, and now I'm thinking I pitched something less than that number. Thoughts?

Hm... about a year, I think. I did a starter with it, of course, but the inflation thing is really just a fairly meaningless gimmick that is a pain for homebrew stores and confusing to the consumer (because they think that a pre-inflated pack is bad, as is a pack that doesn't swell immediately - when both are usually perfectly ok).

Back