What are the negative effects(if any) from a mash pH in the 6.xx range?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetmac

Reaction score
I did a quick check of my mash pH of an American Pale Ale and the mash pH, after I added salts, was at least 6.2 using test strips after about 15 min of mashing.

After everything was in the boil kettle and I added the salts to the unfermented wort the pH was fine prior to boil.

Why was my pH so high? Are there negative effects to a high pH? If I do anything to adjust the mash pH will it have any effect on the wort pH in the boil kettle? How do I adjust it, add acidic malts?

Does it matter, as long as the final product tastes good?

The beer flavor will not be as bright due to the high mash pH, the extraction efficiency is reduced, the potential for tannin extraction was increased.

You can learn more about brewing water and how to adjust it by downloading and using Bru'n Water. You can download it at the link in my signature line below.

First obvious question: what was the temperature of the wort when you checked the pH?

Latest posts

Back