Still not carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryfrei312

Reaction score
I have a IPA in that has been in bottles for 8 weeks and there is zero carbonation. My question is could i pour all the beer into a keg a force carbonate the beer?

I have a IPA in that has been in bottles for 8 weeks and there is zero carbonation. My question is could i pour all the beer into a keg a force carbonate the beer?

THEN you run the risk of oxydyzing the beer. It's better to fix it in the bottle than do that. it would be almost impossible to put the beer back into a bottling bucket and then re-bottle the beer without oxydizing the beer...Dumping fermented beer, and having it fall through the air is 5 gallons of liquid cardboard waiting to happen.

Remember fermented beer + oxygen = bad....

At what temp is it being stored at?

First, what is the ambient temp where you are bottle conditioning (take a temperature reading on the glass of one of the bottles)? You want them around 70 deg F or so, and given the frigid temps where I am I figured I would mention that first.

What was the OG of the IPA? If it is a big IPA, carbonation can take a while.

As far as going from bottle to keg and force carbing, I suspect it is doable but you have to be very careful regarding exposure to oxygen. Your best bet might be to fill the keg with CO2, sanitize some really long gloves and the outsides of the bottles, and reach down as far as you can into the keg to pour with as little splashing as possible.

I think i killed the yeast during fermentation. i was trying to do a temperature controlled fermentation and didn't realize till my next brew session that my thermometer was 30 degrees off. Also the bottles sat next to the windows the first week and temps were pretty low around 45. I moved them out to a room that was around 70. The beer taste good just zero carbonation its like drinking hoppy water.

I think i killed the yeast during fermentation. i was trying to do a temperature controlled fermentation and didn't realize till my next brew session that my thermometer was 30 degrees off. Also the bottles sat next to the windows the first week and temps were pretty low around 45. I moved them out to a room that was around 70. The beer taste good just zero carbonation its like drinking hoppy water.

Chances are that you did not kill the yeast unless you froze the beer. I would give them 2-3 weeks at 70deg F to carb. Once the bottles get to ambient temp, invert them to redistribute the yeast and store upright.

If that does not work, you can always try the carbonator tabs or drops.

Back