Carbonation Limit for Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on bottling a weizen tomorrow. Does anyone know the limit, in volumes of CO2, that the standard brown glass bottle can handle (e.g. Sam Adams)?

The style guidelines for this beer call for 3.6-4.5.

I'm going for 4.0 in used Troegs bottles.
It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and no explosions yet.

Not recommending this, YMMV, yadda yadda disclaimer, don't sue me, etc.

Thanks for the reply. I do have enough heavier bottles, but they're not all cleaned or delabeled. I'm going to not be lazy and get them ready for tomorrow.

I figure better safe than sorry.

Your data point is good though. Keep us informed if you have any issues.

I have done both 8 gallons of Tripel (2 months) and 4 gallons of Wit (3 weeks) at 4 volumes in assorted brown, 12 ozers. No explosions either. As HDB said, though, YMMV. Official disclaimer, etc. :)

I too would like more info on this topic. Searched the net and could not find any real data. I primed some French Saison yesterday to around 3-3.5 volumes, standard bottles. I will let you know if there are any problems.
pat in OLY.

I do wonder about this myself. I'll be bottling a hefeweizen tonight at 3 or so volumes. I hope it works out.

If anybody has any data, please post it.

I'm going for 4.0 in used Troegs bottles.
It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and no explosions yet.

Not recommending this, YMMV, yadda yadda disclaimer, don't sue me, etc.

This batch is fully carbed and delicious.
No bottle failures.
These are generic brown beer bottles.
I weighed a few empties and they're about 7.5 ounces.
Rochefort bottles are 9 oz and Orval bottles are 12.5 oz.

Huh. cool...I was going to start a similar thread. I am going to be bottling my saison this week at the recommended between 4 and 4.5 volumes...I don't have enough champagne splits, belgians or other heavier bottles so I am going to have to do some in regular beer bottles...Including some of my old heavy pints I guess.

Has anyone had any luck with flip top bottles? Especially at the seal? I have a few flip tops, sme grolsch but also some check pils flippies as well.

Anyone had good/bad experiences with flip tops?

Back