Whitelabs Yeast in a tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I got my kit for heather ale last week and stuck the yeast in the fridge. It appeared that the bottom part of the tube (not the liquid) got to be pretty solid but I thawed it out by sticking the tube in some warm water in a glass while we brewed.

I pitched the yeast when we were done and it's been about 15 hours and no activity.

Normally I finish a batch in the afternoon and by the next morning when I get up, the yeast are happily going to town on the wort.

This morning, nothing.

Is it possible to have yeast too cold and they die?

I'm thawing out a tube of white labs right now that we stuck in saturday and letting it sit without warm water... for our pumpkin ale we are making today.

Can I just use Nottingham yeast packets if things don't start or should I goto my LHBS and pickup the one that was suppose to be used in the kit.??

thanks
Jake

Liquid yeast with no starter can take up to 72 hours to get going. It's way too soon to worry about doing anything to your beer.

Have you been freezing your tubes? They should just be put in the refrigerator not the freezer.

give those yeasties time to work. i'll let the more experienced brewers here tell you when to repitch but remember just cause you don't see bubbles doesn't mean nothing is happening.

I had a Wyeast slap pack that did nothing for 12 hours - pitched it and nothing for another 36 hours.

No worries - I think those tubes really need a starter - all that is happening is the yeast is multiplying and eating O2. Once the O2 is used up they will start to ferment.

I didn't freeze the yeast, they were stuck in the refrigerator...

Nothing else liquid freezes in my fridge so I assume it just needs time to start.

We are going to leave it sit for another day and half and see where it's at.

Thanks
Jake

I got my kit for heather ale last week and stuck the yeast in the fridge. It appeared that the bottom part of the tube (not the liquid) got to be pretty solid but I thawed it out by sticking the tube in some warm water in a glass while we brewed.

1. Liquid yeast (and the tubes in particular) require a starter.

2. The tubes can sedminent pretty hard; that's what the "shake well" language is about. It probably looked frozen but was just sedimented.

3. Liquid yeast (and the tubes in particular) require a starter. :)

Latest posts

Back