liquid yeast starter with Candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparginGrain

Reaction score
Hello all!

I’ve been getting into all grain having brewed a few batches extract and finding it kind of lame compared to what I could have been doing. I was going to brew my 3rd batch of all grain tonight but am worried that I will need a yeast starter to get my desired FG. I’m going for a pretty big IPA (although not sure how traditional it is) my grain bill is as follows:
13lb 2 row
1 lb CC 60
1.5 LB caraPils
1.5lb Munich

I’m still unsure of my efficiency (got 86% last batch but that can’t be right since I’m batch sparging with a 10gal cooler). I don’t have my gravity calculations in front of me but anything above or close to 1.070 for OG will make me happy.

My question is do I need a yeast starter, and if so, can I use some Belgian candi sugar that I bought for a previous batch but decided not to use? My LHBS is kind of far from me so I don’t really want to make the trip out for expensive DME or another liquid yeast pouch.

I have 1 WYeast American Ale #1056. Can I brew tomorrow if I let this swell over night; can I make a starter from this using candi sugar; or Will the WYeast 1056 be sufficient as is if I let it swell for the recommended 3 hours?

I do not plan on using the candi sugar for the brew.

Any advice?

You need a starter or somewhere in the ballpark of 3 packs of yeast. Do not use sugar for a starter, use DME, LME, or some boiled wort you saved from a previous batch...the yeast need to do their thing in an environment with maltose so as to not become selective about sugars.

I had a feeling... So I guess the only way to really save money on yeast is saving wort from previous batches, since DME is not the cheapest (at least not here in NYC). What is the best way to save wort for about a week, which is about how often I have been brewing and in turn, how fast I can free up my fermentors?

Latest posts

Back