My First Mash Tun w/Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
Well boys and girls i'm going to be making the jump to AG. So I decided i would give making a mash tun a shot. This is what turned out. So what else do i need for AG brewing? I have all the equipment for extracts and i use an outdoor burner.

Here's a few pics from the build. Let me know if i can do anything to improve it. I'll be adding a hose barbed adapter when i get a chance to head to the hardware store.

Home Dept cooler
pb110130.jpg

1/2 in. brass ball valve.
pb110127.jpg

Can lift on the valve with a full 10 gal.
pb110128.jpg

S/S house braid attached with zip tie and 1/4 square head plug.
pb110129.jpg

Parts
pb110117.jpg

Parts assembled. (washers up top are not part of this build.)
pb110120.jpg

1/2 thread. I used some pipe tape on them before attaching ball valve
pb110121.jpg

Looks good. I recommend installing a barbed fitting on the outlet of the valve. That way you can attach a length of tubing to it and drain the liquid into the kettle without it falling a long distance and splashing all over the place.

Looks good. I recommend installing a barbed fitting on the outlet of the valve. That way you can attach a length of tubing to it and drain the liquid into the kettle without it falling a long distance and splashing all over the place.

In addition,without the barbed fitting , some tubing and some distance between mash tun and the recieving bucket/kettle you will not get good flow. Once you add grains and mash, you'll need the siphon to be able to drain all the wort. +1 to adding the tubing

yeah i grabed the wrong size of barb adapter. To my defense i blame it on home depot for letting it sit on the wrong rack and not me for not reading the package :)

Looks good. Where in the depot do you find these coolers?

I never trust Home Depot or lowes to have the right pieces on the right shelves.

Looks good. Where in the depot do you find these coolers?

I never trust Home Depot or lowes to have the right pieces on the right shelves.

lawn and garden area. it was $39.96 just ask for a beverage/water cooler.
The adapter,ball valve,and s/s mesh was around $12 total.

Back