Hello from California

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbBrewMonster

Reaction score
Hey there, Dave here.

I came to homebrewtalk.com looking for mead info and discovered this forum. I've been brewing for a long time and want to try something new, and a (lying!) friend of mine told me how easy it is to make mead... well, I suppose it looks easier but the choices for how to proceed are a little bewildering. I mean, you brew beer, you dang well are gonna boil it! hehe.

Anyway, hello, and hope to hang on the forums now...

fusion94 said:
Welcome to HBT...whereabouts in California are you?

San Francisco Bay area, a little burg called Suisun. Otherwise known to highway 680 travelers as "that freaking windy place". :)

I'm a bit north of you guys, but I haven't been to the bay area since last October. PM me if you guys are putting together a meeting...I'll bring down some brew!
:mug:

No need to boil the MEAD just a bit of heat or boil everything BUT the Honey. about 10 min @ 180 should do it be prepaird for the LOOONG haul. Your gonna need to be paitent. Mine is I think 4 years now maybe only 3.5 but its just now getting KILLER
Welcome to the forum
Cheers
JJ

Thanks for the welcome, everybody.

A regional beer get-together could be cool depending on where and when!

JJ, thanks for the reply on the mead boil/heat/no heat "controversy." I poked around the forums here and found a recipe I am going to try - that being "Malkore's (Not So Ancient) Orange Mead". I like the idea of the 160 degree water for ease of mixing and some "bug killing". Plus it's not a very time-demanding recipe so I can brew some beer at the same time, hehehe! Patience isn't a problem either.

I love watching peoples eyes light up when they find out I make my own BEER... then tell them I share
By the way, I can totally relate to that! There's like a very cool set of nested reactions... first when they find out you brew, then that they could have some, then that you'd be willing to teach them how to do it too.

Anyway, off to Beer, Beer, and More Beer :tank:

fusion94 said:
I think a bay area brew session would rock. I'm in for that.

I am up for it as well. The Bay Area folks (on this thread at least) seem to be grouped in North/East Bay and Delta (plus ol' Fusion there in the city proper).

BakerStreetBeers said:
I am up for it as well. The Bay Area folks (on this thread at least) seem to be grouped in North/East Bay and Delta (plus ol' Fusion there in the city proper).

I can travel to pretty much anywhere...we could do something at my place in the city but parking can be a PITA.

dbBrewMonster said:
Thanks for the welcome, everybody.

A regional beer get-together could be cool depending on where and when!

JJ, thanks for the reply on the mead boil/heat/no heat "controversy." I poked around the forums here and found a recipe I am going to try - that being "Malkore's (Not So Ancient) Orange Mead". I like the idea of the 160 degree water for ease of mixing and some "bug killing". Plus it's not a very time-demanding recipe so I can brew some beer at the same time, hehehe! Patience isn't a problem either.

By the way, I can totally relate to that! There's like a very cool set of nested reactions... first when they find out you brew, then that they could have some, then that you'd be willing to teach them how to do it too.

Anyway, off to Beer, Beer, and More Beer :tank:
Im in for a brewday!! if time permits
good luck with the mead
pm me Ill send you an address to send me a bottle or two for safe keeping :D

Back