Coopers IPA - change it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I have a can of the Coopers Brewmaster IPA that I need to brew before I can move something else. I was wondering if there is a way to enhance it, or, if it needed any enhancement? I have some hop pellets left over I could use or I could search for some specialty grains at the LHBS. Or I can just follow the can recipe and look forward to the next recipe.

I have used extra hop pellets with that kit with great results. If you have aroma hops, you can add them the last five minutes of the boil to give the beer a "fresher" hop aroma than you get from the can. Or, you could dry hop in secondary.

For a 5.5 gallon batch and no supplement hops that can will get you around 42 IBU. That's on the low end of the style guidelines but it's still in.

It looks like you have TONS of room to move up. Do you like a punch in the face IPA or something a little more subtle?

For an American IPA I would be tempted to add another 4 pounds of DME, and some cascade finishing hops, and DEFINITELY as the previous poster some kind of dry hops.

Personally I wouldn't add hops, but most people like more IBU.

i just made this as first batch according to directions. it has a clean lightly hopped taste in line with english style. easy drinker. would have been nice to have some aroma hops added and maybe some extra dme for a kick i think.

Well, one thing I wondered about was when adding aroma hops does it matter what kind you use? In cooking, you can't really say "add some spice" and use anything since not all spices work with all foods. So while I could throw in some left over aroma hops I have, I wasn't sure if you should try and match particular hops with the (in this case) kit extract.

4 pounds of DME? Wow. That seems like a lot since my LHBS sells DME in pags of 2 pounds and it would roughly add another $20 to the cost. Should it be just light DME or extra light DME?

4 pounds of DME? Wow. That seems like a lot since my LHBS sells DME in pags of 2 pounds and it would roughly add another $20 to the cost. Should it be just light DME or extra light DME?

How big is your fermenter?

With a lot of IBU's you'll need some extra gravity to help balance it out. I know the expense is high, but you'll get a lot more mileage out of a bigger beer like this.

I am going to assume 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

If you add 2# DME your gravity should be around 1.039
If you add 3# DME your gravity should be around 1.047
If you add 4# DME your gravity should be around 1.055

I know it's an extra $10, but it'll be worth it.

As far as color I'd go with pretty much the lightest color they have. All my extract beers are always too dark either way.

What kind of yeast are you using?

BTW: To cut down on cost a little I snuck pilsen light DME in my English Bitter and saved a couple bucks. The 3# at LHBS was $11.79.

How big is your fermenter?

With a lot of IBU's you'll need some extra gravity to help balance it out. I know the expense is high, but you'll get a lot more mileage out of a bigger beer like this.

I am going to assume 5.5 gallons into the fermenter.

If you add 2# DME your gravity should be around 1.039
If you add 3# DME your gravity should be around 1.047
If you add 4# DME your gravity should be around 1.055

I know it's an extra $10, but it'll be worth it.

As far as color I'd go with pretty much the lightest color they have. All my extract beers are always too dark either way.

What kind of yeast are you using?

BTW: To cut down on cost a little I snuck pilsen light DME in my English Bitter and saved a couple bucks. The 3# at LHBS was $11.79.

I'd be happy if it was only $10 but unless I'm missing something it's more like $20+ for 4# of DME and the can only cost $18 IIRC. I just checked AHS and they sell 5# for near $20 without the shipping and my LHBS sells 2# bags for around $12.

I'm not saying it won't be better, I'm just having sticker shock.

I just brewed this up with the can of extract of course and 1 lb dextrose and 1 lb light DME. It definitely could use more hops. Its lacking a bit in flavor for me and I'm not big on hops myself.

I'd be happy if it was only $10 but unless I'm missing something it's more like $20+ for 4# of DME and the can only cost $18 IIRC. I just checked AHS and they sell 5# for near $20 without the shipping and my LHBS sells 2# bags for around $12.

I'm not saying it won't be better, I'm just having sticker shock.

So you're at:
Cooper's Kit $18
4# DME $24
Additional hops: $4 (assuming 1 oz)

$46 for about 40 pints

I'd say that's pretty typical for a bigger extract brew.

My LHBS sells five pound bags of DME for $16.

If LME is cheaper, he should just use that. The main improvement trick with those kits is to swap out the sugar for malt, put some fresh hops in there, and use fresh yeast...a packet of US-05 would do nicely.

I made this as my very first batch last night. My LHBS automatically handed me 3lbs of light LME ($8.95) to go with the can. I did not add anything else as I was just trying to get the process down before I started exeperimenting. I used the yeast that came with it and within 12 hours it was bubbling.
I'll let know how it goes.

I use the same Coopers IPA kit, and add a 3lb bag light dry malt extract, 1 lb corn sugar, and an extra 2 ounces of hops, half in boil, half at very end.

When I used 2lbs corn sugar and 2 lbs LDME I noticed the flavor thinning, but with just 1lb cant seem to tell and I save a couple bucks...

Back