Belgian Wit Question - to 'Swirl' or not to 'Swirl'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banks412

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I finished bottling my Belgian Wit (read: my failed attempt at a Belgian Watermelon Wit) last weekend and am hoping to try a bottle this weekend (exactly one week later - early I know) and I wanted to know.... Some folks say with beers of this style to swirl the bottle and include the small amount of sediment with the beer as these SHOULD be a little cloudy while some say you should never try to stir up what's on the bottom.

I can say from experience that when I have gotten a little bit of that sediment, my lower GI tract let me know with a vengeance. I know trial and error is always an option, but I'd rather not go through that anymore! :/

What to do....what to do?:confused:

TIA

banks412 said:
Hey guys,

So I finished bottling my Belgian Wit (read: my failed attempt at a Belgian Watermelon Wit) last weekend and am hoping to try a bottle this weekend (exactly one week later - early I know) and I wanted to know.... Some folks say with beers of this style to swirl the bottle and include the small amount of sediment with the beer as these SHOULD be a little cloudy while some say you should never try to stir up what's on the bottom.

I can say from experience that when I have gotten a little bit of that sediment, my lower GI tract let me know with a vengeance. I know trial and error is always an option, but I'd rather not go through that anymore! :/

What to do....what to do?:confused:

TIA

I would always swirl a wit as that's part of the flavour profile and appearance I am looking forward to, but if you find yourself sensitive to the sediment then don't bother. You'll enjoy the brew more if you aren't worrying about the possibility of an upset stomach tomorrow!

The lower GI issue you describe will not hurt you (although it is somewhat unpleasant) unless it was so severe that it caused dehydration, etc. Also, I believe it is something you will get used to the more you drink - if you swirled the bottle every time before you drank, eventually there would be no effect.

I guess in the end it is your choice. I wouldn't personally, but if you like the flavor go for it.

I did my 1st brew and it was a belgian ale. I swirled the setiment. A buddy told me it was the best beer he had ever had out of a fridge. The only time I have had the bowel experience was drinking the hydrometer sample of this beer. Lol and yes it made me rumble for a few hours. On my 3rd batch sat. Gonna try a pumpkin ale. Cheers!

I thought wits should by cloudy because of proteins and not yeast?

It can take a while for your body to get use to home\craft beer. I remember as I started to venture away from the BMC world I would get gassy, stomach would hurt and after a couple of weeks that the symptoms decreased and now it doesn't bother me too much. If it causes pain, then don't swirl.

Pour you Witbier without the sediment. It will be hazy. Hefeweizens are the style that is often 'mit hefe'.

biodarwin said:
I thought wits should by cloudy because of proteins and not yeast?

Bit of both, wheat in the grain bill can provide proteins but wit strains of yeast floculate poorly and remain in suspension. They definitely add to the cloudiness and the flavour.

The swirl and pour kicks any yeast that has settled out back up into the last pour.

Back