Lager Power outage!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibumdc

Reaction score
Brewed a Schwarzbier with the following recipe.
http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/8bbebaa3/
Ued the following Mash schedule
131 10 minutes
145 30 minutes
157 30 minutes
Sparge 168 10 minutes

OG was 1.060 and fermented @ 50* for 6 days and then.....POWER OUTAGE.
Fermentation fridge power was off for 24 hours and rose up to 74*
Once power came back on it cooled it back down to 50* over the next 8 hours or so.
Transferred to keg for lagering on Saturday after 3 weeks of primary and it finished @ 1.022.

Did it finish? Tasted it and it was a bit sweet but NO off-flavorings such as astringency or popcorn.
I plan to lager for 3 months before bottling.

BAD/ GOOD? Did it finish?

1.022 sounds kind of high. I wouldn't say that the power outage killed it though. If anything, it would be necessary for a diacetyl rest. Did you rouse the yeast when you brought it down to 50 again? I would shoot for about 5 points lower, possibly by adding more yeast.

The carboy was at my friends house and no I don't believe the yeast was roused when the temp was brought back down to 50*
I could attempt a re-pitch but honestly I think we might just let this lager and drink it and re-brew the same recipe in a few months.
Some of my buddies like a sweeter beer anyways but the rich dark malt character of the bit I tasted was excellent.

Looks like you were a few points high on your OG and thus a few points high on your FG. I think you probably need to rouse the yeast and warm it up to the high end of the range for that yeast, say 55-57F and leave it for a couple more weeks.

Agreed. 1.022 is too high. I'd bet that quickly chilling from 74 down to 50 put the yeast to sleep, but just a guess. After 3 weeks you should be lower.

I would try repitching actively fermenting yeast at a warmer temp. Pitching dormant yeast won't do anything. They need to be active. Make a starter and pitch at high krausen (~12 hours). It can be at warmer temps (60's) without adversely affect your flavor profile.

Should be able to get lower with that strain. My oktoberfest started at 1.060 and ended somewhere around 1.012 IIRC. But if you liked the taste then go with it I suppose.

1.022 is WAY TOO HIGH.

I had a Maibock finish at 1.020 (even though the style guidelines say the upper limit is 1.018) and it's so sweet I can't even drink it. I may even dump that batch if it still tastes like crap after 2+ months in bottles. :/

Back