Acidulated (sour) Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorWho

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used Acidulated (acid) malt to make a cider? I have been thinking about using this in place of the 2 row when making the all grain version of Brandon O's Graff.

I had previously made a 5 gallon batch of Graff and used fresh strawberries to add some flavor, and I presume as a result of poor sanitization I got the gift of a sour strawberry graff, which was FANTASTIC.

Now, I don't want to take my chances with the sanitation police to have a great sour cider, so that's why I was thinking acid malt.

Any thoughts or ideas to share?

Thanks!

I've used it, but only 2oz in a 6 gallon batch. In all honesty, I didn't notice any diference. I think I'd be concerned about wort PH with that much acidulated malt. I'm not sure how much is needed to significantly alter PH, but it might be something to consider.

"The lactic acids on the outside of the grain gives the malt a slightly sour taste. It is often used in pilsners, wheat beers, and other light beers. Acid malt may be used to lower the mash pH. Reduction of wort pH leads to a better working mash, intensified fermentation, lighter color, improved flavor stability, and a "well-rounded" beer flavor."

Out of curiosity, are you sure the tartness wasn't actually due to the increased acid from the strawberries?
Regards, GF.

\
Out of curiosity, are you sure the tartness wasn't actually due to the increased acid from the strawberries?
Regards, GF.

Oh, I'm quite sure. I had something like this going on:

4284-P1010501.JPG

A friend of mine, who just happens to be a microbiologist and brewer said it was either Lactobacillus or Brettanomyces.

I haven't really bothered with pH before, but I could certainly test my future batch with a few strips.

I think I'll do a 2.5 gal test batch and see how it turns out. With that ratio I'll do 1 lb acid malt, .5 lb 2 row, and .5 lb 60L crystal. Then add to 2 gal of juice.

Back