Are the little buggers dead or just stunned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayrton

Reaction score
Last night SWMBO and I made an oatmeal stout, and the whole process was going brilliantly, except that SWMBO tossed the yeast in before I told her to. It was white labs Irish Ale Yeast, and I'm thinking the temperature was probably mid-80s, give or take a few (I don't have a thermometer on the side of my carboy). She pitched it around 9 PM, and as of 3 PM today, we've got nada. I know it's under the 24-hour mark, but the White Lab yeasts usually kick in pretty quickly. Did she kill them or what?

ayrton said:
Last night SWMBO and I made an oatmeal stout, and the whole process was going brilliantly, except that SWMBO tossed the yeast in before I told her to. It was white labs Irish Ale Yeast, and I'm thinking the temperature was probably mid-80s, give or take a few (I don't have a thermometer on the side of my carboy). She pitched it around 9 PM, and as of 3 PM today, we've got nada. I know it's under the 24-hour mark, but the White Lab yeasts usually kick in pretty quickly. Did she kill them or what?

I bet you'll be OK. I'd be stressed also, but I'm pretty sure the little critters can survive those temps.

That's a red card offense for SWMBO...yellow at the very least.
You may not have killed them, but you're going to get some off-flavors from the yeast fermenting at that high a temp. Mine usually tastes like a Hefe when the temp gets too high...kind of a sweet, cloudy banana-like taste.

BeanPot Brewery said:
That's a red card offense for SWMBO...yellow at the very least.
You may not have killed them, but you're going to get some off-flavors from the yeast fermenting at that high a temp. Mine usually tastes like a Hefe when the temp gets too high...kind of a sweet, cloudy banana-like taste.

In that case, I hope they *did* die.

If they never started at 80+ and your temps are now down to the high 60's low 70's your not going to get esters.

Another point is that dry-yeast get's awakened at temps of nearly 100deg. So don't worry...80deg isn't going to kill em....maybe going from 40deg. to 80deg might stun em a bit but I bet by tonight you'll get some airlock activity.

Your temps drop since pitching the yeast?

Ok, so when I got home from work, it was bubbling, and within a half-hour, it was to the point that I had to attach a blow-off hose and put the other end in my brewpot with some water in it to keep air from going the other way.

I had forgotten that I bought a thermometer for my carboy the last time I was at my homebrew supply shop, and it was still in its bag, so I attached it to the carboy. The temperature is still too high - around 76-77 degrees, so I soaked a towel in cool water and wrapped it around the carboy. The room temperature of my kitchen is about 75, so I'm not sure how to keep this stuff cool. I think it does say a lot about how some of my beers have been turning out lately, though. I wish I had a basement (stupid apartment).

Since it sounds like SWMBO is a rampant fan of beer or at least allowing you to brew within her domain I suggest the following.

You know those plastic buckets big enough for a 1/2 barrel with lots of ice? Buy one of those.

Fill it with water...4-6inches. Drape a towel or shirt around your carboy. let the towel/shirt touch the water and wick the water up. Add a fan and you should be able to get to the low 70's or high 60's.

I found my barrel-bucket at Mendard's.

Ha, thanks Exo! After my last post, I had recalled that the July-August issue of BYO suggested some stuff for keeping cool, so I looked at the article and had literally just read that exact same tip. I have a wet towel around it, but I need a decent-sized tub. SWMBO suggested one of those big turkey roasting aluminum pans you can get at the grocery store, but I think I like your idea better.

ayrton said:
Ha, thanks Exo! After my last post, I had recalled that the July-August issue of BYO suggested some stuff for keeping cool, so I looked at the article and had literally just read that exact same tip. I have a wet towel around it, but I need a decent-sized tub. SWMBO suggested one of those big turkey roasting aluminum pans you can get at the grocery store, but I think I like your idea better.
Or you can use a Ice Cube cooler which is square and will hold the temperature longer. A 48 or 60 quart version should work well.

She have a sister :p

There's a really great post about DIY fermentation chiller using a computer fan, some insulation board and ice around here somewhere.

But I'm to lazy to find it after just having drank a bomber of Hop Rod Rye...and its hard to feel my fingertips. Whee!

Back