secondary too full?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Tarp

Reaction score
Is it ok to have the level in the secondary all the way up the neck inthe carboy? Usually I have it mid neck or so but this time I filled too much and decided just to put on the stopper. Last time I was below the neck and had some kind of schnid growing on top of the beer(tasted and smelled fine at bottleing so crossing my fingers on that one.. ) so just wondering if there is a problem with no space between the beer and the stopper?

As long as everything is sanitized properly it shouldn't matter in the secondary. You should mark out your carboys so you know how much is in there, i have mine in 1/2 gallon incriments.

Cheers

as long as your sure it reached the FG and is done fermenting, otherwise things could get messy

jjmadden08 said:
as long as your sure it reached the FG and is done fermenting, otherwise things could get messy

agreed. if you hit the target FG (or damn close) then it was safe to go to secondary, and since its done fermention, it shouldn't foam up or do anything 'bad'.

in fact, the less headspace in secondary, the better.

thanks for the quick answers! No activity in the lock and all is good so far.. :rockin:

Back