Mash Thickness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
I'm brewing a pumpkin beer today and was wondering if in my lbs of malt I should account for 1 lb of rice hulls? Also, should I account for the pumpkin (60 - 75 oz) as well?

When determining the mash thickness I've always used the 1.25 qt/lb (through 1.5) multiplied by the amount of malt.

So a 10 lb batch at 1.25 qts/lb malt = 12.5 qts strike water.

Thanks!

Yes count the rice hulls and maybe up the water to 1.5 qts per lb just to loosen things up. Pumpkin gets really mushy and the extra water and rice hulls help

I'm adding pumpkin in the mash. Doing the thunderstruck recipe from HBT. Every thing I've read on here suggests to mash the pumpkin. At the LHBS they said I should mash the pumpkin.

Both sources also told me to use rice hulls as they won't add or take away any flavor but will help with a potential stuck sparge from the pumpkin.

Just trying to figure out if I should be accounting for the two things!

Armen_Tamzarian said:
I'm adding pumpkin in the mash. Doing the thunderstruck recipe from HBT. Every thing I've read on here suggests to mash the pumpkin. At the LHBS they said I should mash the pumpkin.

Both sources also told me to use rice hulls as they won't add or take away any flavor but will help with a potential stuck sparge from the pumpkin.

Just trying to figure out if I should be accounting for the two things!

Ah. Ok. Understood.

if your going to use rice hulls MAKE SURE TO SOAK THEM FIRST. they will soak up alot of your wort water making it pretty dry and your first runnings wont be alot...

if your going to use rice hulls MAKE SURE TO SOAK THEM FIRST. they will soak up alot of your wort water making it pretty dry and your first runnings wont be alot...

This is a good idea...I never thought of that. Will be doing this next time I use rice hulls

yeah, ill soak mine for a half hour in warm-hot water before you add them to your mash.. i learned from experience that you lose a lot of first running if you dont soak them first, then you have to use more sparge water and... its just not fun...

Back