IIPA Recipe.. Please give your opinions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
Here it is. Let me know what you guys think!

Grain Bill:

15.5 lbs - Maris Otter
1.5 lbs - Torrified Wheat
1.0 lbs - Victory Malt

Hop Schedule:

0.50 oz - Warrior (15.8% AA) - 60 min
1.00 oz - Simcoe (12.7% AA) - 30 min
1.00 oz - Cascade (6.3% AA) - 20 min
1.00 oz - Centennial (11.5% AA) - 15 min
1.00 oz - Simcoe (12.7% AA) - 10 min
1.00 oz - Cascade (6.3% AA) - 5 min
1.00 oz - Chinook (10.5% AA) - Flameout

1.00 oz - Cascade (6.3% AA) - Dry Hop in Secondary for 1 week
1.00 oz - Cascase (6.3% AA) - Keg Hop for 2 weeks

Other:

1 Whirfloc Tablet - 15 min

Yeast:

White Labs - WLP051 California V (3 qt starter and hoping for 75% attenuation)

I think the grain bill/hop schedule combination is going to create one hell on an IIPA. Let me know what you guys think!

I think that's a lotta MO. This is mostly just a preference thing, but I prefer IIPAs that are lower in malt character -- think of the difference between Ruination and DFH 90. Pliny and Hercules. The latter ones, I think, would be more appetizing to me if they were presented as American Strong Ales or even American Barleywines. If it was mine to brew, I'd replace some of the MO with a sugar or other adjunct, or just a less characterful base malt.

Interesting use of Chinook. I guess it's got a nice aroma, but the coolest thing about Chinook IMO is its potential for tongue-scraping, grownups-only bittering character! Cascade does it some, too. That's one avenue you could take to bring the bittering up in presence if you found the maltiness overpowering.

I agree that MO is a personal preference, I personally love it. Especially in a IPA/IIPA. I think that it gives you all the base and backbone that you need. I also agree with an adjunct (i.e. corn sugar), but I would replace it with the torrified wheat. I think the hop schedule looks tasty!

I am boling an IIPA right now with Warrior. I am not sure if you have used it before or how you like your IPA type beer, but I used 1.25oz Warrior at 60. I was going to go 1oz but AZ_IPA convinved me to bump it up. I like lots of flavor so i think your late additions are good, but I am not sure .5oz Warrior will give you a big enough bitterness.

I also love MO, but I did 50/50 with 2 row.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=6433621

Back