Kegging and bulk aging - when to hit with CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
I recently kegged my first batch of brew and have been letting it sit for its 'bulk aging' before I hook it up and give it a taste. (Not to mention I still dont have my kegging rig completely built) At any rate, I primed this keg beforehand and I plan to let it sit for at least a couple of weeks before throwing it on the gas and serving it.

In the future, I plan to force carb my kegs before serving. When force carbing, should this be done AFTER they have had a couple of weeks to age in the keg? Or should the beer immediately be thrown on the higher pressure gas once its racked to the keg. (Then aged a bit)

This kegging thing is exciting... (Yet a lil confusing)
Thanks
-Me

You want to hit it with some CO2 right away and then let the air out using the pressure release valve.. I normally purge the air then throw it in the fridge I like to have 1 on tap and 1 carbing, so that way there's always one ready to go.

If you have several batches kegged and you want to age just purge then air and leave them until your ready to carb. I'm not really sure how they would age different fully carbbed or just purged.. maybe someone else can shed some light.

There's really no way to skip the conditioning stage, and while it can go into the kegerator right away, cold temperatures slow down the aging process. I usually keg, hit it with some co2 to seal, and then keep it at room temperature a couple of weeks. Sometimes I carb it up while it's waiting to go online (I have an extra tank and regulator), but usually it just waits its turn. Then it spends about a week in the kegerator carbing up.

Thanks for posting this question. It answered a question I will have in a week or so :D

Perfect timing!:mug:

Now if I can just remember the tips until then....

1) Keg and purge air with blast of CO2 (release valve to purge O2) then presurize with CO2 for storage.

2) When aged to perfection, chill then force carb 30 psi for 24 hrs and reduce to serving PSI... Wait 3-4 days then serve.

Glad to hear others are using Kegs for conditioning and storage!

Now if I could just get a couple more kegs.... cheap :D

Cheers :mug:

No need for priming sugar if you are force carbing. Secondary carbonate if you want but expect many cloudy beers when you start drinking it - long story, do some research.

With regard to the original question, I would give it 20PSI at room temperature for a couple of days then just store and forget it.

Back