success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch 3 weeks ago, the day after Christmas. It is an American Amber Ale kit from NB. I wanted to wait for it to go a month in the primary but just couldn't. I took my first hydrometer reading today, I'll take one tomorrow and the next day also. When I opened the top of the ale pail, it looked and smelled like beer:rockin: After I took my hydrometer reading I tasted the sample and it tasted like beer:). I can't believe this actually worked. My original gravity was 1.043 and now it is 1.004. Does that sound reasonable?

Sounds like beer to me! Now enjoy waiting another two-three weeks before cracking your first bottle ;) Its going to drive you nuts!

I am going to wait until the end of the week(if the SG stays the same) then cold crash for a couple of days then bottle hopefully on sunday.

I have an IPA in the primary that I did a week after that. I hope to bottle that a wek later if my schedule lets me. Now I need to figure out what to brew next, I think I'll wait and see how the other one turns out as well.

I'm actually brewing the NB American Amber Ale kit as I type. It's my second time brewing. My first was a year and a half ago and I ended up a little disappointed. I finally decided to give it another try. I'm glad your first brew is looking good. Let us know how it turns out. I'll post what my OG turns out being when I'm done, so you have something to compare yours to

I am also in the same place you are. I did my first brew on the 29th. Been waiting patiently to bottle and then will have to wait for it to carbonate up.

I already did another batch, an all amarillo ale from the recipe section of this forum. That smells amazing.

Trying to decide what to brew next.

The brewing seems pretty easy. Definitely the hardest part is the waiting.......... I want beer..now.......

I brewed my first batch 3 weeks ago, the day after Christmas. It is an American Amber Ale kit from NB. I wanted to wait for it to go a month in the primary but just couldn't. I took my first hydrometer reading today, I'll take one tomorrow and the next day also. When I opened the top of the ale pail, it looked and smelled like beer:rockin: After I took my hydrometer reading I tasted the sample and it tasted like beer:). I can't believe this actually worked. My original gravity was 1.043 and now it is 1.004. Does that sound reasonable?

I commend you on making it three weeks for your first beer - you will be rewarded for your patience , I assure you.

Just finished brewing. Fyi, my OG was 1.046 so I'm assuming that's pretty close to what yours turned out to be.

Back