Winter beer. Decisions, decisions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaK

Reaction score
So I would like to brew a beer for the upcoming winter, only problem is that I really can't decide.

Here's what I've narrowed it down to (I think):
-Amber/Red with cinnamon/nutmeg/goodness in it
-SN Celebration Ale Clone
-NB Frambozen Clone
-Standard winter warmer type beer

Thoughts? Input? What are you guys brewing for winter?

I was thinking something along the lines of a Sam Adams Octoberfest with some nice, rich malt as I've loaded up on all the hops this summer or their Fezziwig ale with Cinnamon, ginger and orange peel.

Don't see how you could go wrong with the SN Celebration Ale Clone. I brewed one a couple of years ago. While it wasn't 'spot on' it was still good. Last year I just picked up a keg and enjoyed it.

They all look good to me, especially the winter warmer. I also made a celebration ale and it turned out tasty.

I'm going with the celebration ale. I love that beer. I've been able to find a few recipes, some extract some AG. So I've had to kind of combine to make it work for me. We'll see how it turns out. My advice would be celebration, can't go wrong.

last year i had to make 3 winter ales, they don't seem to last very long. I'd say that should make your decision easier :D.
I do a rich, somewhat sweet, malty ale with only a bittering addition and 2.5# of crystal malts... then I dry-hop it with 2oz per 5 gallon batch. yum.......

I am going with a 1.070 amber/brownish ale with special B, victory, special Roast, chocolate, C40 and C80. I think I am going to spice it up with nutmeg, cinn and ginger....no aroma hops. A simple 35-40 bittering addition.

**Scratches head** What's a Winter Warmer? Er..what's the basis of it? But of that list I like the SN Celebration Clone. Mmmm :)

In other parts of the country where we see snow and really cold temps. we need beers with a ton of body and alcohol to keep us warm!!:mug::)

Thanks guys! I'm really liking the beers you guys have going.

I think I may have to make a few...

I was just thinking about that this morning, I think I'm leaning toward a chocolate-heavy milk stout right now, something smooth enough to share with my friends who are not as into the hops.

What I really want to do over the winter is a longer, aged out ale with whiskey-soaked oak chips, but I'm moving in November and don't want to have to schlep a full carboy.

Latest posts

Back