What should I make with my first year Cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrydcarter

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on what to brew with my 1st year Cascade. Got 1.7 ounces dried to play with. Any ideas?

1175304_10151628537013105_1078342601_n.jpg

Thanks. So what do you think about.

8 lb Marris Otter
1 oz Cascade Pellets @ 60 Mins
1 oz Cascade (Homegrown) @ 15 Mins
.7 oz Cascade (Homegrown) @ 5 Mins

Safale -05

5 Gal batch

Thanks. So what do you think about.

8 lb Marris Otter
1 oz Cascade Pellets @ 60 Mins
1 oz Cascade (Homegrown) @ 15 Mins
.7 oz Cascade (Homegrown) @ 5 Mins

Safale -05

5 Gal batch

Sounds nice. Too tired to do the math but that look like a fairly low alcohol brew. I like it. Good luck.

I used this years Cascades in a SMaSH but I added spaghetti squash that grew next to the hops. So not a true smash, but I don't expect the squash to add much, if any, flavor.

LabRatBrewer said:
I'd do a SMaSH with Marris Otter. Them you'll know what they taste like for next years larger harvest. Plus Cascades are a great hop for singe hopped beers

Thats only 1.7 ozs? Edit, oh dried... Got it

Haha awesome I was going to suggest the exact recipe. Using the pellets at 60 is probably your best bet as well since you want your homegrowns to be front and center for flavor and aroma.

I believe Edworts haus pale is a SMaSH with 2-row and cascade.. I like the idea of making it a session ale as well that way you won't have so many different flavors to protect any possible flaws in your brew.

Maybe brew the same recipe with all store bought pellets to see what difference your own hops bring to the table? Depending on Aau% you may have a more mild or popping flavor going on. Good luck and let us know the results I'm very curious.

Cheers

Back