Micro/nano breweries Using BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Are there any micro or nano breweries out there that use BIAB?
As a dreamer I was drooling over 1bbl setups and wondered if it could be done using the BIAB method.

I think you woul be hard pressed to efficiently use a bag for that large of a batch. The material would have to be super strong to support the wieght and need a powered lift to deal with it. Cleaning would also be a *****.

I think you woul be hard pressed to efficiently use a bag for that large of a batch. The material would have to be super strong to support the wieght and need a powered lift to deal with it. Cleaning would also be a *****.

That's what came to my mind, as well as needing a crane or a winch to lift it!

At least squeezing the bag is easy.
Garbage_Compactor_Rubbish_Compactor_Body_Rubbish_Compactor.jpg

I guess that is pretty much biab, but at that scale I wonder how much savings there is.

While it is probably possible, it would not be very profitable. The low efficiency of such a system would require too much expense in grain to turn much of a profit. As homebrewers we don't need to achieve a high efficiency but it is important in terms of financial return for commercial brewers.

While it is probably possible, it would not be very profitable. The low efficiency of such a system would require too much expense in grain to turn much of a profit. As homebrewers we don't need to achieve a high efficiency but it is important in terms of financial return for commercial brewers.

There are a few nano/micro brewers who use the speidel 200l system in germany and in australia.

As a user of the smaller system of this i can attest to the high efficiency possible on this system. So long as you crush properly and sparge you can get over 80% easily which is fine for a micro or nano brew.

A lot of people assume this is just a biab system, it isnt, it is a combination biab and recirculating mash system. There are pumps that push the wort through the grain bed which makes it as efficient as any other system. :ban:

I have been considering saving up for one of the 200l systems to make beer for some local pub/bar owners i know and using my smaller system as a test batch system.

If you can consistently hit efficiencies in the low 80's on one of these systems then go for it. Might be a good opportunity to enter the nano market.

Latest posts

Back