one of those 'i did what?' moments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donner

Reaction score
So, the other day i decided i'd go ahead and get the ingredients for brewing O' Flannagain's standard (dry stout). Well. i went back and forth, trying to convert the recipe to fit my partial mash system. After i placed my order i realized i might have overlooked a few things.

In the thread, someone came up with this PM recipe, which i followed with the minor substitution of LME for DME it is at the end of this post.

Now, the other thing i got into my head was the BYO article from october, which dealt with the Dark Side of Partial Mashing. Basically, the article said to deal with the acrid nature of the darker malts, one can steep part of the malt (cara-pils, roasted barley, chocolate malt) and mash the base malts separately.

Long story long. I didn't take into full account the size of my MLT and the amounts i was using. I figured, 4 lbs of 2-rows would be fine in a 2-gallon cooler, but i didn't take into account what i learned after searching flaked barley. Flaked barley has to be mashed with the 2-rows, doesn't it? I was also hoping to add some of the cara-pils to the mash to get an amber wort, but i fear with the 2-rows, the barley, the cara-pils and water, it'd all be too much.

So, i have a few questions i'd appreciate help with. Does flaked barley have to be mashed? If so, can i mash 2-rows and the flaked barley together and then steep the remaining grains separately. Finally, i know this is a low IBU and i worry about doing a partial boil. I had to buy 2 oz of fuggles, can i just increase the amount of fuggles in include in the boil and get more bittering IBUs or do i need to 'schedule' the additions for later in the boil to bump my IBUs a touch?

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 24.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.50 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (End of Boil) Dry Extract 28.25 % (i'm using 3lbs LME instead)
4.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 45.20 %
0.75 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.47 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.47 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.65 %
0.35 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.95 %
1.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.3 IBU
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.35 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.94 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

I know it's a long question, but i'd appreciate any help.

Does flaked barley have to be mashed?
yes

If so, can i mash 2-rows and the flaked barley together
yes >>> and the dextrine malt

can i just increase the amount of fuggles in include in the boil and get more bittering IBUs
yes

Back