aging high abv beer in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kid_ak

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just curious whether a high abv beer like an Imperial Stout would stand up better to possible oxidation than a lower abv beer, when being aged in bottles? I'm still new, and I think my final summer batch will be an RIS, which I'd like to age for a few months to have in the winter or spring. I know the best route is to prevent oxidation in the first place, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
AK

Hi all,

I was just curious whether a high abv beer like an Imperial Stout would stand up better to possible oxidation than a lower abv beer, when being aged in bottles? I'm still new, and I think my final summer batch will be an RIS, which I'd like to age for a few months to have in the winter or spring. I know the best route is to prevent oxidation in the first place, but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,
AK

If you're worried about oxidation, I would use oxygen absorbing caps. An Imperial Stout is a perfect style for aging. Just treat it right and it will be great.

Back