Would like feedback as much as possible

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInMaine

Reaction score
Hello I am thinking of brewing an extract with specialty grain, not ready to go all grain or mashing yet. this is what I have in Mind please let me know what you all think. Thanks.

3.3lbs amber liquid extract
3.3lbs wheat liquid extract
8 oz caramel Vienna (grain/malt)
4 oz chocolate (grain/malt)
1oz Hallertau 3.3% aa 60 min boil
1oz Hersbrucker 2.5% aa last 15 min
Wyeast 3068 Welhenstephen Weizen.

Lest me know what you think I am very open to suggestion. and the boil size I dont think My pot can do a full 5 and anything more then 3 gal is to much for my stove. thanks for all the input Tom.:mug:

Also I used Brewmasters warehouse Brew Builder and everything is go for style of Dunkleweizen.

Looks good to me. It's on the dark and bitter end of the style, but still within the guidelines.

That will make a fine beer.

(i personally would sub in carafa special II for the chocolate because it's huskless and less bitter/roasty, but if you can't get it immediately i wouldn't sweat it)

and the boil size I dont think My pot can do a full 5 and anything more then 3 gal is to much for my stove. thanks for all the input Tom.:mug:

Forget to respond to this. When I did extract I couldn't boil 5 gallons either, on account of not having a big enough pot.

However, I would make what wort I could, about 3 gallons, and then top up with two gallons or so of water. I never had santitaion problems and my water is pretty clean in Vancouver BC. If your worried, you could always boil extra ahead of time, chill it, and put it into the fermentor the day before, then add the wort on top later. You just need to know what volume you need AHEAD of time, as opposed to after the fact. This will affect hop utilization to some extent, but I wouldn't stress about that. I made some nice beers this way.

It's not much extra work for an extra 2 gallons of beer either!!! Which is very rewarding!

That will make a fine wort, but it you want it to be a fine beer you'll need to ensure you are fermenting it cold like a lager, right? Sometimes people overlook that part, that's all.

The yeast he's using ferments at ale temps, 64-75° F.

Don't worry about lagering. It looks to be a hearty Dunkelweiss.

Why the amber LME? Just use your specialty grains for your color and flavor, use a light LME for your bulk, and you'll be happier with the results.

The yeast he's using ferments at ale temps, 64-75° F.

Don't worry about lagering. It looks to be a hearty Dunkelweiss.

Why the amber LME? Just use your specialty grains for your color and flavor, use a light LME for your bulk, and you'll be happier with the results.

Oops I wasn't paying enough attention. That's what i get for being a smart ass.

I saw Weihenstephen, but the Wiezen part didn't register.

Carry on....

Thanks for the input I will take everything into account and will post results let me know of there are more ideas

Since you have kettle limitations (boil challenged?), you may want to hold off on adding all of the LME at the beginning of your boil. By waiting until the last 15 minutes to add the rest of LME, you will get better isomerization of the AAs in your bittering hops. I know it's not super important in a weiss, but most of the time IBU's are calculated under the assumption that a full boil is being done.

One other question, would this be a good beer to have in a Keg, or should it be a bottle beer?

Do what I do. Fill a 6pack and give them each a Coopers carbonation Drop, and put the rest in the keg. If you thought the bottle was much better, you will have your answer.

I am in love with my kegging at the moment, so don't bottle more than a 6pack.

Do what I do. Fill a 6pack and give them each a Coopers carbonation Drop, and put the rest in the keg. If you thought the bottle was much better, you will have your answer.

I am in love with my kegging at the moment, so don't bottle more than a 6pack.

Great Idea I will do that going to my lhbs shop tomorrow will pick up some of those tabs :mug:

One concern I would have is low wheat %. What % of the wheat LME is actually wheat? I've not used wheat LME, only wheat DME, and that was 65% wheat, 35% base malt. To get a truer dunkelweizen from an extract you'll need to keep as much wheat as you can (supposed to 50%+ of the grain bill).

Thanks Gremlyn I will work on that with my ingredients tonight when I get home from work. I will keep that in mind. and go from there. Any more ideas will be helpful from anyone.

For a true dunkelweizen you should delete the amber LME and use only Wheat LME or DME as your base. The wheat extracts are typically about 50% wheat and 50% pale or pilsner malt already.

Then, use the chocolate, or crystal, or carafa special to color it up.

Just my .02, but a dunkelweizen should be at least 50% wheat to be "to style"

:mug:

For a true dunkelweizen you should delete the amber LME and use only Wheat LME or DME as your base. The wheat extracts are typically about 50% wheat and 50% pale or pilsner malt already.

Then, use the chocolate, or crystal, or carafa special to color it up.

Just my .02, but a dunkelweizen should be at least 50% wheat to be "to style"

:mug:

Yea cool thanks I did do that went to get the supplies at LHBS shop and he talked me into using just the wheat and not Light so I an going with two can of Coppers Wheat

Latest posts

Back