Floaties and Hydrometer Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitack

Reaction score
I've got a cyser going right now that will probably resemble a cider more because I did't put too much honey it in (three gallons, only four pounds of honey). Started at a 1.080 gravity five days ago, today it is at 1.028. Nice drop.

I want some residual sugars, aiming for a FG in the area of 1.010 or 1.008. As I'm taking gravity readings today i have a lot of floaty yeast and probably apple bits in the measuring tube. I'm wonderig if those are affecting the reading. After all the Hydrometer works because it is calibrated to messure relative density, with 0 being water. If there are other solids in the mix intuitively that should change the readings as the density is changed. So my question for a more experienced mazer is, how much can that throw off the readings? 1 or 2 points, no worries, 5 or 10, well towards the end that could completely throw my desired OG off.

Thanks

I think bigger chunks would effect the volume of the sample (unless its clinging to the hydrometer) and not so much the difference in solution from water. If you're concerned, test another sample without chunks and log the difference. My guess is that it would be fairly miniscule. Plus if theres still bits floating around it isn't done settling out yet. You won't want to worry about your FG til your ready to backsweeten in terms of having it at 1.010 etc.

Back