What goes with nugget?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjaffy

Reaction score
I've been working my way through several APA and IPA batches with my favorite hops: Amarillo, Citra, Cascade, Warrior and Magnum, and need to look at tackling some of the other hops I have hanging out amongst the beer supplies.

I'm looking to make an APA or IPA with some of the Nugget hops I have (3 oz. @12.4AA) and I don't know if this hop is a good candidate to stand on it's own (such as the stellar all-amarillo dry hopped w/amarillo and citra or magnum-bittered +copius citra), and if not, what I should mix it with. I have:

3oz. Columbus @13.3 AA
4oz. Galena @13.3 AA
4oz. Northern Brewer @9.1 AA
3oz. Summit @15.5 AA
3oz. Willamette @4 AA

Along with the aforementioned Amarillo, Cascade, Citra, Magnum and Warrior

I'd likely use one of my standard APA/IPA recipe bases of something like:

9lbs 2-row
2lbs Vienna
8oz Carapils
8oz C-20

I'm considering, pending hop flavor profile, tossing some Victory in to the mix as well, haven't done that yet, and sometimes I bump up the C-20 and/or toss some rye in there.

Grab a bottle of nugget nectar and ask yourself the same question afterwards. It's one of the few SMaSH hops I enjoy, the other being Chinook.

I agree with aiptasia, nugget nectar is delicious and I use nugget to bitter with all of my apa's and ipa's.
That being said, if you like imperial ipa's The green flash imperial ipa is done with nothing but nugget and summit, a "unique blend". You could up the 2-row a bit and add some dextrose... That's just me though. green flash imperial is one of my favorites.
Nugget is an all around good strong, clean bittering hop that would go great with any of those hops. but a smash should be worth it.

The recipes of Nugget Nectar I've seen have a lot more going on than Nugget, but sometimes it seem as though people think it's a single-hop beer because of the name. What gives?

Let me know how yours turns out. I'm brewing a straight up Nugget brew as well with 85% 2 row, 10% munich and 5% C-20.

Latest posts

Back