What sparge method to use in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
For example my first AG brew is going to be the Haus Pale Ale and I want to do my mash and sparge exactly how he has it listed:

Mash
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 152 degrees.
I batch sparge in a 10 gallon water cooler with a stainless braid manifold. Click here for great info on Batch Sparging.
Dough-in with 3.5 gallons of water. After 60 minutes, add 5 quarts of 175 degree water and begin vorlauf. My system only takes about 2 quarts before it clears up, then it's wide open to drain in the kettle. Have another 3.25 gallons of 175 degree water ready for the next batch sparge. You should then get 6.5 gallons to your kettle for the boil.

So what option would I pick in the mash profile of Beersmith to select this type of mash?

Thanks

Choose any of the Single Infusion, X Body, Batch Sparge. After your are back to main recipe view double click the sparge method you just choose in the Mash window. This will open up a new window called Mash Step. In that dialog you can change the temperature(in your case to 152) and time etc etc.

Also in the main recipe dialog in the Mash section click Details, this is where you can set how your batch will be sparged and your initial tun and grain temps which are crucial for the software to calculate the correct strike temp.

Yup, any body batch sparge and adjust the temp as gunner stated.

I also make sure I check the sparge using equal sizes box and the drain mash tun before starting to batch sparge. Also I adjust the %of mash tun volume if i need to (usually around 70%) to make sure i have 2 batch sparges

Back