Carafa I...please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing a Rochefort 8 clone (recipe found here: http://hbd.org/hbd/archive/4181.html#4181-24). One of the items call for Carafa special dehusked 800 EBC. My LHBS dude told me Carafa I is what I need. So, I bought this (http://www.schwartzbeer.com/store/product/11373/Weyermann-Carafa-I--1lb.-/). Sorry, no pic, but the bag itself says nothing about being dehusked, debittered, or special. The LBHS dude says it is dehusked.

I have no clue, so can someone help me out? Is all Carafa I dehusked or the LBHS guy full of crap? The shop does have Carafa III that specifically says "special" and "dehusked" on it. Should I use that instead?

Thanks in advance for the help.

One of the items call for Carafa special dehusked 800 EBC. My LHBS dude told me Carafa I is what I need. . . The LBHS dude says it is dehusked.
If it doesn't say "Special", it's not dehusked. Weyermann makes both.

From Weyermann:
The de-husked finished malt is our CARAFA® Special. Like our regular CARAFA® (the roasted malt with all the husks), we make CARAFA® Special available in three color variations: Type I with a color rating of approximately 300 - 340 °L, Type II with a color rating of approximately 375 - 450 °L, and Type III with a color rating of approximately 490 - 560 °L.

The shop does have Carafa III that specifically says "special" and "dehusked" on it.
I'd go with the Carafa III Special and adjust the quantity to get the desired color.

Copy and pasted from the Weyermann web site - I hope this is what you are looking for:

CARAFA® Special
Question
Why does CARAFA® Special (de-husked) Chocolate Malt have a smoother flavor than does regular CARAFA®? Could you provide some detail on the Carafa® dehusked malts--methodology, how and why the dehusked barley is smoother in flavor. It is definitely evident while tasting the malt.

Answer
Roasting germinated barley tends to scorch the grain's husks and give the finished malt a slightly, or even severely, burnt flavor. Some dark beers, however, taste much better -- at least according to some brewers and consumers -- without the bitterness that comes from scorched husks. We at Weyermann have found a way, therefore, to remove most -- though not all -- of the husks before sending the barley through the malting plant and into the roasting drum. The de-husking process is similar to commercial rice polishing. It is desirable, howver, to leave about 40% of the husk material intact, because the husks also protect the kernel from damage. The de-husked finished malt is our CARAFA® Special. Like our regular CARAFA® (the roasted malt with all the husks), we make CARAFA® Special available in three color variations: Type I with a color rating of approximately 300 - 340 °L, Type II with a color rating of approximately 375 - 450 °L, and Type III with a color rating of approximately 490 - 560 °L.

Back