I think I'm making a gose. So what do I do now...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krid

Reaction score
Okay, I've committed to my first lacto beer, and I was gunning for a gose. Now I have some questions. Quick overview:

I mashed 6 lbs of wheat malt and 4 lbs of pilsner at 148. Ran off 6.5 gallons, boiled 90 minutes with 1 oz of tettanang at 60 min. 15g of salt and 1 oz of corriander at 5 minutes. Cooled to 105, threw in a cup of grain and wrapped the fermenter in towels. 28 hours later it had a foamy lacto krausen on it, was 66 degrees, and I pitched a 1200 mL starter of WLP011 European Ale.

It has been bubbling away (this is day 3) and smells faintly like sourkraut from the air lock.

So I guess my first question is does this need long aging, or can I just bottle this stuff in a couple weeks and try it out.

I found a lot of info on Berliner Weisse, but not so much on gose. Any pointers/tips/random useful info is greatly appreciated.

You should be able to bottle it whenever the gravity is stable. If it tastes good... bottle it. If not, wait for a while and taste it again.

You should just have to let it ferment out like a Berliner Weisse. The lacto from grain always gives a crazy disgusting smell for a while. It should clear up in bulk aging.

Bulk aging on the order of weeks or months? I'm just curious what kind of time frame since I'm new to this.

Bulk aging on the order of weeks or months? I'm just curious what kind of time frame since I'm new to this.

If you have the time I would let it go for 2 months. It will mellow. If you need it soon and the smell isn't that bad once it is chilled then just proceed as normal.

I'm in no hurry. Two months is fine with me as long as I have the spare carboy. But it sounds like I can let my nose be my guide...

Thanks all.

Back