Grade "D" Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
Okay, folks, I have a lead on a good deal for 5 gal of maple syrup. The catch is that it is "Grade D", with Grade "A" being the top-notch maple syrup all the tourists buy when they go up New England way.

But I'm thinkin' that a goodly amount of Grade "D" might make for some interesting brewing additive. Whaddaya think?

Should I bite?

Sure, Grade A has much less flavor than D. I buy B or C whenever I can find them. Grade A is almost tasteless.

Okay, folks, I have a lead on a good deal for 5 gal of maple syrup. The catch is that it is "Grade D", with Grade "A" being the top-notch maple syrup all the tourists buy when they go up New England way.

But I'm thinkin' that a goodly amount of Grade "D" might make for some interesting brewing additive. Whaddaya think?

Should I bite?

Maple syrup indeed makes a very good adjunct to play with in brewing. The grading system is mainly based on aesthetics. The higher grades are lighter in color but have less flavor. D grade is going to be fairly dark but have some robust flavor. Have fun.

Sure, Grade A has much less flavor than D. I buy B or C whenever I can find them. Grade A is almost tasteless.

I grew up in Vermont and was raised on C and D grade maple syrup. I will buy the grade B stuff if I have to, but I won't touch the grade A, not nearly enough maple flavor for me. :)

:off: This post couldn't help but spark a memory of the dorm cafeterias in college. I once walked passed the cafeteria loading dock while a meat was delivered in boxes marked "Grade D but Edible". The printing on the box pretty much summed up the quality of food served.

I'm glad to hear Grade D maple syrup is not same.

Having lived near a sugar house in New Hampshire for 10 years, I have always preferred the much darker, flavorful grades of syrup - usually A medium amber. The lowest grade that 99% of stores will sell is grade C, but is more likely to be B.

I know that D grade syrup was usually reserved for meat processing (maple bacon) and large batches of foodstuff where maple taste isn't that important. Think of store bought maple flavored baked beans.

For brewing, I don't think I would use grade D...

mmmmmm...maple syrup....

My work-SWMBO grew up up north and usually brings me a tin of medium-amber when she goes back to visit!:ban:

Don't know about grades, but grew up in rural Ohio helping neighbor make syrup in his woods. Damn I miss that syrup! Ms Butterworth ain't got sh#t on that stuff. Damn, sometimes I miss living in the country :(

for cooking and candy making we don't use anything above B but we like to use the more flavorful stuff ( C & D ). I think it would work best for brewing because the Maple flavor is coming from the refining not the sugar that will ferment out anyway.

I made a maple wheat this summer from extract using syrup from my buddy's sugar shack...it made a VERY mediocre beer. Next time it's going in a porter.

Anyways in keeping in line with the post it was Grade D, and delicious. The only way to go for eating/brewing/etc.

I can't even imagine what Grade D would be like....it isn't even on the grading list or do some areas refer to Grade A Dark Amber as Grade C and Grade B as Grade D?

Maple Syrup Grades

Different producers use different grading systems. Before I used grade D the only maple syrup I ever heard of was B. If you want a good Maple flavor in your beer D is the way to go if you can get it.

Now... grade D is considered poor grade syrup but it works better in some applications Like brewing and baking

Does anyone know where I can buy Grade D Maple Syrup?

I have a friend who built a sugar house in his backyard in New Hampshire, think the darkest he usually boils is grade A dark amber, but I imagine he could make the darker grade if necessary.

As I understand it the difference is the time of the season when the sap is tapped, earlier season runs lighter, the darker will be later, when there is more activity and different nutrients etc in the sap - problem is that once the weather gets too warm there are other changes (buds swelling, tree metabolism kicking up) that create off flavors, so the available production can be limited by external factors.

One other factor, you'll have to wait in line behind me - I've got a deal with him to get some partially boiled sap from his evaporator when it's at the right concentration for pitching yeast, why boil it down to syrup just to dilute it back down?

Being a maple syrup expert (by proxy of living in vermont :p) I would say Grade B is where you guys want to be for robustness but still that maple delicacy. B is great for cooking and I would assume the same for brewing.

Back