Complete noob to all grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trid

Reaction score
So i made my first batch of all grain last weekend it it turned out well but the recipe was not like this one so i have a few questions i hope someone can help me out on.

here is the recipe i got it from the recipe forums

Dragonmead Final Absolution Triple Clone

AHA Style 02-C Belgian and French Ale, Tripel
Min OG: 1.060 Max OG: 1.096
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.094 Plato: 22.49
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 35.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
80.0 12.80 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.071 2
10.0 1.60 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.008 6
10.0 1.60 lbs. Candy Sugar 1.015 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.80 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 29.7 60 min
0.40 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 3.9 30 min
0.80 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.7 3 min

Yeast: White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 14.40
Water Qts: 36.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.50 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Acid Rest: 0 0 Min
Protein Rest: 140 15 Min
Intermediate Rest: 0 0 Min
Saccharification Rest: 150 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 15 Min
Sparge: 168 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

so they do a p protein rest a saccharification rest and a mash-out rest. the last all grain only had me doing the saccharification rest. I have a 10 gallon mash tun i made from a cooler. my question is how do i do the protein rest then the mash-out rest. do i drain the mash out reheat it then add it to the grains again for the amount of time listed ? also last time it just had me run sparge water back over the grains at 170 do i add the sparge water this time and let it sit for 60 mins and then drain it. sorry if this is confusing any help would be greatly appracted.

thanks
Mathew

I think you could simplify the whole process and just do the scarification rest at 150 but maybe bump up the time to 75 or 90 min.

I don't think the protein rest and mash out are very important.

Make a starter for your yeast.

I'm no expert but this is how I read it:

First, find a rest calculator online, there are couple good ones on here (http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml this is the one I use). Mash in at 140F for 15 min. Use the calculator to calculate how much water and at what temp to add to the tun. It won't be much water. Then rest for 60 min. Then use the calulator again to calculate your next water addition. Add it, rest for 15 min and vorlauf as usual. The sparge instructions seem to be for fly sparging. If you are doing a batch sparge, do it like you normally would . Add your sparge water, stir like hell, let it sit 15 min and vorlauf again. I usually do two batch sparges.

The recipe is calling for a step mash, you did a single infusion mash on your last recipe. I also use a cooler MLT which is great for single, PITA for step as you have to add a bunch of water to create steps, increasing your collected wort and subsequent boil time. Step mashes are usually conducted in a true metal mash tun where you can apply heat to change the mash temp. You do not need a protein rest for highly modified grain (which is most modern grain...ask your LHBS if you aren't sure about the level of modification of the grain you are purchasing) and the purpose of the mash out is to deactivate the enzymes that are converting your mash. I would just use a single infusion saccharification rest and I would kick it up a little higher than 150 (maybe 153-154). Higher mash temps increase dextrins (non-fermentable) which increases body and mouthfeel. Low mash temps are for dryer, highly attenuated styles.

I would just use a single infusion saccharification rest and I would kick it up a little higher than 150 (maybe 153-154). Higher mash temps increase dextrins (non-fermentable) which increases body and mouthfeel. Low mash temps are for dryer, highly attenuated styles.

Yeah but this is a tripel and that is a highly attenuated style.

You are absolutely correct. I was so concerned with process I forgot to even look at the style! Go with a single infusion at 150. This is a really big beer so pitch an adequate starter and use a blowoff tube! Happy brewing!!!

thank you very much for the help its brew day so we shall see how it comes out. Yep i made a starter for it.

You're welcome!!! I found soooooo much information and reassurance on this forum as I sought to shed my nooby instincts, I feel like I need to return the favor as I gain experience and confidence. Have fun today and remember... RDWHAHB!!!

Back