Any Ideas for a Recipe Tweak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
My local Homebrew Guild has a "Big Brew" once a year in combination with the local Craft Brewer Alley Kat. They brew up a big batch with the professional equipment and everyone can take as many carboys of wort that they want for $30a pop.

It's set for May 4th this year.

This is the recipe.

EHG Big Brew 2008 Recipe
65% pale malt
30% Munich
5% medium Crystal
OG 1.050
20 IBU from a single bittering addition of
Centennial hops.

I'm sure I can just pitch a pack of Nottingham or even a Wyeast Euopean Ale and have a nice Red Ale. But some how that seems like a cop out. So I'm throwing it out there to see if anyone has any ideas of something to add to the wort to make it a little bit different. I don't neccesarily want a Coconut Cream Thai Curry Red Ale but something a little different.

Thanks

Rudeboy

yum, thai red curry ale.
i say dry hop it, perhaps with centennial also, though since i drank a bunch of rogue dead guy last night, making a maibock per the bird's suggestion sounds awesome too.
you could also make it a hoppy red beer by dry hopping though...

the_bird said:
That's SCREAMING "Maibock!" to me (albeit with a domestic bittering hop, doubt you would ever know). Can you lager?

Yep. Only problem is I just started my second lagering cycle with a Marzen and a Czech Pils. They'll be ready to go into the secondaries and droped down to the 30's when I get this one.

I thought Maibock was more golden?
2308 Wyeast Munich?

Rudeboy

Maybe I'm thinking more Marzen... in any case, a malty German lager.

The pisser is that if you could add flavor and aroma hops (more than just dryhopping), this would be a wonderful base for something like a fresh, balanced American Amber.

the_bird said:
The pisser is that if you could add flavor and aroma hops (more than just dryhopping), this would be a wonderful base for something like a fresh, balanced American Amber.

Ya we get it as is, so the only options I see are Dry Hopping, different yeasts, some sort of post boil addition or maybe wood.

I don't really want to do a wood beer nor a fruit beer. Maybe I'll just use the European liquid yeast and be content with a nice continental Red Ale.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Rudeboy

Hey, did anyone ever come up with a Thai Curry Beer recipe? My brother is looking for something like that.

You could always try a wheat beer yeast as this is sort of like a dunkelweissen with pale malt instead of wheat. You obviously won't get the wheat flavor, but you will get the yeast flavor. I've meesed around with wheat yeast and no wheat grain bills and have to my taste decided that the wheat adds a "sweetness" (somewhat sweet, somewhat rich, it's just different) to the final product, and more clove (you can get clove with no wheat).

Or maybe a saison yeast. I actually have a holiday beer ready to go into a keg that has a very similar grain bill except for a little Special B and Aromatic malts (plus cinnamon and lemon peel and orange zest at secondary) fermented(ing) with a Saison yeast.

Latest posts

Back