Carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivercat96

Reaction score
I just bottled my first batch of Nut Brown Ale last night and was wondering how long it takes to see the carbonatin taking place. I made a few mistakes on my first batch (added yeast to 100+ degree water) and want to make sure that there is enough yeast in the beer to covert the sugar to CO2. To be clear I waited until my FG stabilized and then conditioned in a primary for about 10 days. Thanks.

It sounds like you did get a fermentation, so you will have yeast in the bottles. As long as you primed with some dry malt extract or corn sugar, the yeast will reactivate. My experience has been that you get a few bubbles after a week, still slightly flat after two weeks, and about right after three weeks. Make sure you aren't storing the bottles in the fridge yet, the yeast probably wants to be at around 68F to do its thing.

By the way, I assumed that you meant that you let the FG stabilize in the primary and then conditioned in a secondary for about 10 days.

you should at least get a 'hiss' when crackign one open after 7-10 days at 70F in the bottle.

give it 3 weeks to fully carb, and condition for better flavor.

Thanks for the quick responses fellas. Uwjester, yes I did get some fermentation activity in my primary and after it stabilized it went into the secondary. For some reason I thought that after you add 3/4 cup sugar to a 5 gal batch the bubbling starts pretty quickly. This was my first batch and I just wanted to make sure I didn't waste my time bottling flat beer. I was going to only wait 10 days to bottle condition at room temp but I guess I might wait 3 weeks. The beers will stay out of the fridge until they are conditioned, thanks for the advice.
:mug:

Back