Bubbles even after reaching FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewme

Reaction score
I would search for this, but I wouldn't know where to begin...

I have reached my 1.022 FG, but I am still getting bubbles every once and a while. I was planning on moving it to a secondary. Any reason why I shouldn't? Could I still be fermenting after 18 days?

What Yeast did you pitch and what kind of beer are you making? 1.022 for a FG is still on the high side. It's not done yet

1.022 was what the recipe said the FG was. It is a RIS. I pitched Cali. Ale yeast. Still think it isn't done?

I guess the yeast didn't get the memo that they were supposed to stop at 1.022. But all kidding aside - yes you are not yet done.

Also bubbles don't mean fermentation - there will still be co2 exiting even when all the yeast have pooped.

If it is an ale then I would not use a secondary vessel as the ale does not ferment long enough to have any problems that would be fixed by transfer to another vessel. 2 to 3 weeks in the primary is normal for ales.

so far as moving it to secondary, you're fine either way. you can leave it in primary for several weeks with no problem, or you can let it finish fermenting in secondary.

if it were me, i'd leave it in primary for a while longer - shoot for next weekend to rack it over. that's so you get the maximum benefit of the secondary (clarification). if you rack it now and have more fermentation going on, you'll have more trub in there to try and avoid.

Also bubbles don't mean fermentation - there will still be co2 exiting even when all the yeast have pooped.

That is what I was thinking. If the bubbles are just CO2 escaping, then racking would be no problem. I think I will leave it in there 'till Wednesday (leaving town for Thanksgiving Thurs.). I am anxious to get the oak chips going. Thanks for the help.

I would search for this, but I wouldn't know where to begin...

I have reached my 1.022 FG, but I am still getting bubbles every once and a while. I was planning on moving it to a secondary. Any reason why I shouldn't? Could I still be fermenting after 18 days?

This happens to me all the time for some reason. It is why i never trust the bubbles and only my hydro and time. In fact right now i have an Irish Red that has been in primary for 4 weeks and it still bubbles every once in awhile. The hydro readings for the past 2 weeks have all been the same. Hopefully i will have some spare time this weekend to bottle it.

Depending on the atmospheric pressure, your airlock can bubble to equalize the pressure inside the carboy. You could even use it as a sort of barometer. When a low pressure system is moving into your area, you'll get some bubbles. ;)

Back