Southern Tier Pumking Clone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used this recipe, with a few tweaks, and got to the second round of the AHA competition this year. It placed first in the NY regional first round, but got shut out in the second. The guy that came in second behind me in the regional placed third in the final round so it was right there. I cut back the lactose, added graham crackers to the mash, and used a fresh Peanut Pumpkin instead of canned or a regular Halloween pumpkin.

Can't wait for cooler weather and Pumpkin beer!

Which recipe did you use?

I just ordered all the grains for TWO batches of this stuff. Hopefully I'll hit the magic mark with the extract/spice ratio. The latest trend seems to suggest the Ringwood yeast is responsible for the graham crust taste, and not the extracts. Any thoughts/confirmations?

I don't know if the Ringwood strain is responsible for the graham cracker taste. I think Ringwood is definitely responsible for the buttery taste, due to the high diacetyl production. The palatable flavor of graham cracker to some could be the buttery flavor of diacetyl. I taste a faint graham cracker flavor.

I'm going to brew two batches, both using ringwood. One with the graham cracker extract and one without. Like I said in my previous post though, one of the ST brewers confirmed that Diacetyl is present in the beer. So, I think the debate over that is put to rest (unless he was lying to me). With that said, the easiest method to introduce diacetyl is through a high-D strain like ringwood. Remember, if you let the beer warm up after primary ends, you'll lose some of the butteriness as the yeast will absorb the D. So, primary, and then keep it cool.

Stumbled across something earlier today. Not sure how legit this guy is, he claims to have brewed at Southern Tier, but either way I think he's right. http://www.reddit.com/r/beer/comments/1j7pmx/found_my_new_favorite_ipa/cbcist2?context=3

Wow, his/her comments were superhelpful. :rolleyes:

Having talked to a couple of the brewers, I don't know if I buy that guy's comment or even the validity of him being an ST brewer. They (at least the ones I've talked to) have a very go-git-em attitude towards homebrewers wanting to clone their beers. I mean, I don't think they are sourcing in moonrocks or uranium for their beers.

waldzinator said:
i don't know if the ringwood strain is responsible for the graham cracker taste. I think ringwood is definitely responsible for the buttery taste, due to the high diacetyl production. The palatable flavor of graham cracker to some could be the buttery flavor of diacetyl. I taste a faint graham cracker flavor.

I'm going to brew two batches, both using ringwood. One with the graham cracker extract and one without. Like i said in my previous post though, one of the st brewers confirmed that diacetyl is present in the beer. So, i think the debate over that is put to rest (unless he was lying to me). With that said, the easiest method to introduce diacetyl is through a high-d strain like ringwood. Remember, if you let the beer warm up after primary ends, you'll lose some of the butteriness as the yeast will absorb the d. So, primary, and then keep it cool.

don't use the gc extract!!!

crzepilot said:
Which recipe did you use?

Pumpkin Ale
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
All Grain (5.50 gal) ABV: 9.62 % (might be a little high based on my estimates for the pumpkin)
OG: 1.086 SG FG: 1.013 SG
IBUs: 34.9 IBUs Color: 11.3 SRM
By: Skibbereen
Ingredients

14 lb - Pale Malt, 2 row (Gambrinus)

Mash addition (82.4%) - 2.0 SRM

1 lb - Victory Malt

Mash addition (5.9%) - 25.0 SRM

12.0 oz - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L

Mash addition (4.4%) - 80.0 SRM

1 box Graham Crackers

Mash

1 lb - Dememera Sugar

Mash addition (5.9%) - 2.0 SRM

4.0 oz - Milk Sugar (Lactose)

Mash addition (1.5%) - 0.0 SRM

1 - Peanut Pumpkin

Mash addition (0.0%) - 3.0 SRM

0.75 oz - Magnum

Boil 60 min (29.6 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Sterling

Boil 60 min (5.3 IBUs)

2.00 tbsp - Ginger Root

Boil 12 min

2.00 Items - Cinnamon Stick

Boil 5 min

0.50 tsp - Allspice

Boil 0 min

0.50 tsp - NUTMEG

Boil 0 min

2 pkg - Safale American

DCL/Fermentis #US-05

5.00 Items - Whole Cloves

Secondary 0 min

1.00 Items - Vanilla Bean

Secondary 0 min

0.50 tsp - Ground Cinnamon

Secondary 0 min

The secondary items were soaked in vodka for 2 weeks, then added to keg by taste.

Pumpkin Ale
All Grain (5.50 gal) ABV: 9.62 % (might be a little high based on my estimates for the pumpkin)
Ingredients

1 lb - Victory Malt

1 box Graham Crackers

Mash

1 lb - Dememera Sugar

1 - Peanut Pumpkin

0.75 oz - Magnum

Boil 60 min (29.6 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Sterling

Boil 60 min (5.3 IBUs)

2.00 tbsp - Ginger Root

Boil 12 min

Boil 5 min

0.50 tsp - Allspice

Boil 0 min

0.50 tsp - NUTMEG

Boil 0 min

2 pkg - Safale American

DCL/Fermentis #US-05

Secondary 0 min

Secondary 0 min

Secondary 0 min

The secondary items were soaked in vodka for 2 weeks, then added to keg by taste.

Jim, save me a bottle! This was excellent last year

Haven't seen this posted yet, so I thought I would add it.

image-3643018592.jpg

image-3654696543.jpg

I too find it difficult to escape the Pumking after I taste it... That bottle label speaks the truth...

Pumpkin Ale
Ingredients

1 lb - Victory Malt

1 box Graham Crackers

Mash

1 lb - Dememera Sugar

1 - Peanut Pumpkin

0.75 oz - Magnum
Boil 60 min (29.6 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Sterling

Boil 60 min (5.3 IBUs)

2.00 tbsp - Ginger Root

Boil 12 min

Boil 5 min

0.50 tsp - Allspice

Boil 0 min

0.50 tsp - NUTMEG

Boil 0 min

2 pkg - Safale American

DCL/Fermentis #US-05

Secondary 0 min

Secondary 0 min

Secondary 0 min

Our recipes are similar.

OG: 1.079, FG: 1.020
ABV: 7.5 --- Not sure how they get it up to 8.6...maybe massive starter?
IBU: 28.5
SRM: 11.3
AG - 5.5 Batch

FERMENTABLES:
14 lb Briess 2-row
12 oz Caramel 80L
9.5 oz Light Brown Sugar Late Addition
4 oz Demerara Sugar Late Addition

HOPS:
.75 oz Magnum 60 Min = 27.0 IBU
.25 oz Sterling 15 Min = 1.5 IBU

EXTRAS:
2 Medium Pumpkins, roasted for 2-2.5 hours at low temperature
.50 tsp Allspice Flameout
.50 Cinnamon Flameout
.50 Nutmeg Flameout
Some ginger (didn't measure) flameout

YEAST:
Wyeast 1178 Ringwood --- 2-3L starter

MASH:
Single infusion 60 Min @ 156
Sparge @ 168

2 weeks primary @ 65degrees, no D-rest
2 weeks secondary

NOTES:
I am still sitting on the fence about the Graham Cracker extract. Enough people have said not to use it that I'm considering doing the crushed graham crackers in mash technique.

Yeah, def skip the extract! Just add the graham crackers to the mash, but be ready with some rice hulls, or an extra grain bag or two! My sparge was a huge PITA!

Yeah, def skip the extract! Just add the graham crackers to the mash, but be ready with some rice hulls, or an extra grain bag or two! My sparge was a huge PITA!

Yeah...I should have added that to my EXTRAS list. I used .5-1 lb of hulls for sparging sake. I also find that combining the pumpkin very thoroughly with the strike water helps to thin it out a bit.

I'm still a beginner to brewing/all grain. I'm looking to do the recipe on Page 20 by gwdlaw and Cannondale. I'm going to swap out the graham cracker extract with 1 box of graham crackers. I've never used rice hulls before. Do I mix them in with the rest of grains/fermentables?

My second question pertains to the yeast. Instead of using S-05, what would happen if I made a starter of WLP001? I haven't made a starter before or used liquid yeast yet, but was interested in going this route if it made the beer better/closer to the real thing.

Thanks for any feedback.

I'm still a beginner to brewing/all grain. I'm looking to do the recipe on Page 20 by gwdlaw and Cannondale. I'm going to swap out the graham cracker extract with 1 box of graham crackers. I've never used rice hulls before. Do I mix them in with the rest of grains/fermentables?

Yes, just toss them in there with your crushed grains. They add some binding to everything, which makes lautering and sparging less gawdawful.

My second question pertains to the yeast. Instead of using S-05, what would happen if I made a starter of WLP001? I haven't made a starter before or used liquid yeast yet, but was interested in going this route if it made the beer better/closer to the real thing.

Thanks for any feedback.

Starters are easy, and for higher gravity beers, they definitely help the yeast get the job done without exhausting itself and producing off-flavors. Boil up some water and some DME (if you search for a yeast starter calculator, you can fill in the SOME with actual amounts). Cool it down to pitching temperature, add the yeast (also warmed up to pitching temperature). I put my starter into a well-sanitized growler. Cover loosely with sanitized aluminum foil (you want oxygenation). I agitate mine periodically to help with cell growth. Advanced users use Erlenmeyer flask on magnetic stir plate.

Once about 24h is up, if you are making a large starter, you can chill it overnight prior to brew day. On brew day, pour off the majority of the liquid and retain the sediment sitting at the bottom and a little liquid. This is called decanting.

I make a starter for anything over 1.060.

Pumpkin Ale
Ingredients

1 lb - Victory Malt

1 box Graham Crackers

Mash

1 lb - Dememera Sugar

1 - Peanut Pumpkin

0.75 oz - Magnum

Boil 60 min (29.6 IBUs)

0.25 oz - Sterling

Boil 60 min (5.3 IBUs)

2.00 tbsp - Ginger Root

Boil 12 min

Boil 5 min

0.50 tsp - Allspice

Boil 0 min

0.50 tsp - NUTMEG

Boil 0 min

2 pkg - Safale American

DCL/Fermentis #US-05

Secondary 0 min

Secondary 0 min

Secondary 0 min

This looks like a great recipe and I just loaded it into beersmith and it's on deck. Any reason why the sugar and lactose are added to the mash and not the boil directly?

Oops.... Yeah they are in the boil. I just labeled them wrong in beersmith!

When did you toss in the sugars? I may have to give this recipe a whirl this weekend.
Also was this cinnamon on point? I've never brewer with it..but 2 sticks and then an addition in the secondary was not overpowering?

Wondering i should omit the vanilla beans soaked in.vodka since im using the butter and nut extract..

I am going to brew this on Sunday. Thinking to leave out all of the artificial extracts and just use spices and a diacetyl producing strain of yeast. I'm in S Florida with no ferm chamber so it just may work out well for me.

Have people had success using ringwood?

Gotta say, this thread goes from extreme to extreme:)

I am going to brew this on Sunday. Thinking to leave out all of the artificial extracts and just use spices and a diacetyl producing strain of yeast. I'm in S Florida with no ferm chamber so it just may work out well for me.

Have people had success using ringwood?

Gotta say, this thread goes from extreme to extreme:)

I'm brewing this Sunday, too. Ringwood seems to be the correct strain, though I haven't tried my final results yet. I'm actually using the WLP005, which is the ringwood strain, but from another brewery. I have a nice 2L starter going as we speak. Good luck. We'll have to compare notes.

I'm brewing this Sunday, too. Ringwood seems to be the correct strain, though I haven't tried my final results yet. I'm actually using the WLP005, which is the ringwood strain, but from another brewery. I have a nice 2L starter going as we speak. Good luck. We'll have to compare notes.
I'm going to be using WLP013 London Ale as LHBS did not have Ringwood in stock. Not using a starter as I cut down on the gravity and am shooting for a 1.077 OG. Laziness is also a factor:).
Good luck!

Please update this thread and let us know how the ringwood ale strain works out

Please update this thread and let us know how the ringwood ale strain works out

I brewed Sunday. Let me say the 2L starter smelled attrocious, but I did taste some of the liquid when I decanted. Holy Diacetyl. It was nearly overwhelming. Good news!

Brew day f'ing blew. This was my first AG attempt at pumpkin. I used 3 lbs of pumpkin puree, as I couldn't source viable pumpkins yet. Well, I didn't preheat my puree. Just went straight from can to mash. OOPS! I forgot my laws of thermal conductivity and specific heat. I ended up mashing at around 146! See my post here....you really gotta consider this or you will mash very low. I was off by 10 degrees.

I also had a very stuck sparge, even with rice hulls. This was probably at least partially caused by low mash. It took me nearly 1.25 hours to sparge, and I came up about 1 gallon short. Ugh.

I learned a lot for next time, which will be in about 2 weeks.

But yeah, ringwood is the bees knees so far. I already have a 3-4 inch thick krausen on this bad boy and it's only been fermenting for about 18 hours. Good thing I came up short on my volume, because I misplaced my blowoff tube!

The Ginger Root? Are you folks simply using fresh grated ginger root? or some other variation? Thanks in advance....

crzepilot said:
The Ginger Root? Are you folks simply using fresh grated ginger root? or some other variation? Thanks in advance....
I used powdered ginger.

crzepilot said:

Be REALLY careful if using fresh ginger. I used just 1 tsp fresh chopped ginger in my pumpkin ale, and the beer tasted solely and entirely of ginger despite the other spices. In fact, I'd stay away from any form of ginger, because it simply doesnt have any "pumpkin pie" type of flavor.

My brew day went pretty well. My first brew since moving to S. Florida so I had to unpack and clean all of my equipment. Got NB's Dark Star burner, that thing is awesome!
I baked the pumpkin until it was mostly dried on the baking sheet, kind of like fruit leather and then let it reconstitute in the mash water. That solved the stuck mash problem and I also didn't have to worry about the pumpkin dropping the mash temp too low as I added it at 180 and then let it come down to strike temp as it reconstituted.
Mashed at 158 because I didn't want to use any lactose.
Only issue was me messing up the sparge water volume and ending up with 7.5 gal of wort instead of 6.5.
I didn't use a starter and pitched the yeast at 82f(couldn't get it any lower than that.) Yeast took 27 hours to start bubbling but is now bubbling like a maniac and is leaking out of the lid of the bucket even though I used a blowoff.
Initial samples tasted awesome.:)

That solved the stuck mash problem and I also didn't have to worry about the pumpkin dropping the mash temp too low as I added it at 180 and then let it come down to strike temp as it reconstituted.

This is definitely a best practice. Pumpkin should be brought up to temperature, and you need to compensate for the heat sink effect of the pumpkin when adding it to your strike water.

Glad to hear you had a good brew day. I plan on doing another one in a few weeks after I harvest my yeast. Round 2 should be a little better.

I have read, took notes and studied everything in this thread over the last week and a half to work on an Imperial Pumpkin Stout Recipe, any input or ideas to change would be appreciated.
this will be a pumpkin imperial stout that the 2nd half will be partigyled into a pumpkin stout. Hows it look? Looking for a slight flavor of chocolate (sort of like TREAT), some dark flavor but not a sharp coffee/burnt taste more like a pie crusty flavor.

Also: too much lacto in the mini stout? dont want too much sweet that its like a milk stout.

Pumpkin Imperial Stout:
OG: 1.107
Est FG: 1.030
Est Abv: 10%
IBU: 76
SRM-35

Grain:
2- Row- 16lb (75%)
Roast Barley- 0.75lb (3%)
Choc Malt- 0.75lb (3%)
Spec B- 0.25lb (1%)
Crystal 80 1.5lb (7%)
Crystal 120 0.75lb (3%)
Carapils 1lb (5%)
Biscuit 0.75lb (3%)
Rice Hulls 2 lbs
I box of crushed graham crackers.

Hops:
2oz EKG @ 60
1oz Fuggles @ 60
1oz- EKG @ 30
1oz Fuggles @ 30
1 tsp yeast nutrient @ 10
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice @ 5min

60oz (2 cans) Pumpkin baked 1hr to carmilize with 1 lb brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice
Mash pumpkin with grains at 154 degrees x90 min.
Hit with 1 in pure O2 when transfering to bucket and again 12hrs later before fermentation takes off
Pitch on an old yeast cake of S-04
Transfer to secondary after 3 weeks, add 1 fresh vanilla bean and few cubes of bourboned oak, sit for at least 1 month.
Going to make a "pumpkin spice tea" of 2 tsp pumping pie in Capt Morgan to add at bottling if I think it needs more pumpkin spices
(planning on having 5 lbs of dark DME on hand if my tun doesn't have enough room for everything, to substitute for some 2 row that will be held out of mash)

2nd part (partigyle of second runnings)

Pumpkin Stout
Guestimate:
OG- 1.064
EFG- 1.020
IBU: 5.65
IBU- 46
SRM- 26

Second runnings, will have some DME to bump up the gravity if needed
Lactose 8oz

Hops:
1oz EKG @ 60
1oz Fuggles @ 60
1 oz EKG @ 30
0.5oz Fuggles @ 30
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice @ 5min (Will have "pumpkin pie spice tea" if needed at kegging.)
Yeast- S-04
02 when added going to bucket.

Well I had a bottle of this stuff for the first time this weekend and have decided to chase the "white whale!" However, after reading all 60 pages of this thread I feel a little up and against it. In my opinion the grain bill is not the issue. It is the mix of spices that seems to set this one apart, and the ever elusive graham cracker tase!!! I'm ordering stuff this week and will prolly brew the recipe below late next week. I have seen people list it, but nobody has replied after mashing graham crackers. I'm gonna give it a shot and see if that part of the puzzle can be solved. I am thinking I want to mash it high and skip the lactose as I personally don't pick up that in the Southern Tier version. Any input of spices and ampunt of each would be greatly appreciated, as I haven't even tackeld that monster as of yet. One idea I had was to use pimkin pie spice and beef up the ginger. I don't get much, if any, cinnamon but think this would be an easy way to balance out the remaining spices listed on the web site. Cheers!

15 lbs 2 row
1lb crystal 60L
1 lb brown sugar at 10 min
2 boxes graham crakers added to the mash
4 lbs pumkin puree added to stike water and mashed
mashed at 158

yeast
WYeast 1056

0.5 oz Magnum at 60min
1.00 oz sterling at 15min

added to keg
3 vanilla beans soaked in vodka (maybe whipped cream vodka)
ginger (seemingly most important)
cinnamon
nutmeg
clove
allspice

Graham crackers have butter in them typically. Most recipes I have seen are simply flour, sugar (various kinds), cinnamon, butter, baking soda, and sometimes honey. So take that for what its worth. if you want butter, pick a high diacetyl strain and crash cool the minute it fully attenuates.

Graham crackers have butter in them typically. Most recipes I have seen are simply flour, sugar (various kinds), cinnamon, butter, baking soda, and sometimes honey. So take that for what its worth. if you want butter, pick a high diacetyl strain and crash cool the minute it fully attenuates.

My only thought is the sum of the parts is not equal to the whole. Graham craksers get their distinct taste by being blended and baked and their flavor would not be present by merely adding the ingredients. I considered adding some graham cracker extract, but many people had some very adverse reactions to the taste. The butter does pose a pretty big issue....now that I think about it.

Latest posts

Back