Primary finished? I'm not sure....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
So I opened my bucket for the first time today, just over 1 week after pitching the yeast. I took some pics and took a gravity reading of 1.023, the OG was 1.060.
I don't think it is ready to go to the secondary but I wanted to ask for some other opinions first. I tasted the beer that I used for the reading. It seemed a little bitter and I'm not really sure what "yeasty" tastes like.

Here is the link to my pics, let me know if it doesn't work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81913909@N00/?deleted=95369346

I'd say it needs a little more time in the primary, the gravity should get down a few more points. It's normal for the brew to be a little bitter this early in the process. That will mellow. Yeasty tastes like baking bread smells. And that also goes away.

If the airlock is still active or you have a lot of krauzen you should wait. If its still fermenting you will only get a lot of trub in the secondary and might need to rack again. No need to rush you know:)

Back