Brewing with coffee... need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblvsn

Reaction score
So I'm planning on brewing an Oatmeal Coffee Stout. I've never brewed with coffee before and have read up on many different methods. What works best? I want the coffee to be present but not over powering. I've heard of some people brewing a pot of coffee and adding it to the end of the boil or at bottling. I've heard of people using grounds in the mash. Grounds in the boil pot, etc... What method should I use? :mug:

This is mostly hypothetical, because I don't really know the answers, but heat brings out the oils in coffee which might kill the head in your beer. This is stuff I read on various sites, so take it with a grain of salt.

Most people I have read like either cold press coffee, of grinding beans and "dry hopping" with them in secondary.

I however tried a third option. I have an aeropress and tried that because is brews at lower temps. My coffee porter tastes great, but it does suffer from a lack of head. So I will try the cold brewing next time.

When dry hopping with coffee how much coffee should you use? I wouldn't think it would take much.

I have used cold pressed coffee with great results. To me it makes sense because the coffee is very smooth because it was never boiled. I use black patent or roast barley for the very roasty bite. What you do is boil a cup or two of water, let it cool down to room temp and add the cracked coffee. Let the coffee sit there for a day or two, strain the beans out and add to taste.

dblvsn said:
When dry hopping with coffee how much coffee should you use? I wouldn't think it would take much.

I would try cold press first, because you have more control over it. You can prevent yourself from adding too much.

dblvsn said:
I appreciate the quick responses. So do I just add the cold pressed coffee when I keg?

Yes, or to the bottling bucket. About 2x the normal amount of grounds in 12oz of water, soaking overnight.

Personally, I've steeped the beans (1/2 cup coarsely cracked) in a hop bag at flameout for 15 minutes. That's worked like a charm every time.

Make sure you use fresh roasted beans...the difference is worth it.

Latest posts

Back