First Post / Listen to Folks on This Site!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmorse1976

Reaction score
So here is my first post ..... just brewed my first batch 2 weeks ago, extract pumpkin ale kit. Made a load of mistakes such as pitching yeast too warm and letting it ferment at about 76F for 48 hours before I decided i needed to try and cool the wort down more ... at that point the Klausen fell back, air lock stopped and the damage was done. 2 weeks in the primary as of tomorrow and it smells like Banana City. I'm going to let it go one more week in the primary, probably 3 weeks in the secondary and then a full 4 weeks in the bottle before I even try to drink one.

Thats not the real reason for my post. I brewed my 2nd batch about 60 hours ago and made sure to cool wort wel below 80 before pitching, aerated wort by agitating my carboy for a good 7 minutes and pitched the yeast ..... added carboy to a water bath with some ice and kept it between 62 and 65 degrees. After 48 hours there was no activity in the airlock, no Klausen and I immediately was overcome with the beginners "anxiety" of "man i must have done something wrong, my beer is ruined, i should repitch the yeast etc"

I read and I read and I read (mostly all posts on this site) and read over and over and over again "dwrhahb" or whatever the hell that is ..... kept reading over and over people saying "let it be, it will be fine" and read over and over beginners such as myself absolutely freak out for no reason at all. So as hard as it was to not post on here and cry for help I forced myself to relax and see what happens.

Went to my father in laws house tonight for some grilling, when I left nothing going on at all in the carboy, stagnant as could be. I told myself I wasnt going to worry about it and I would trust what the older folks had to say on this board. Came home 3.5 hours later ...... bout a 2 inch thick foamy Klausen ontop and airlock is burping about 7 times per minute.

My point here is the folks on this board know what they are talking about!!!!! I'm going to like this board, it seems to be a great resource. Although I didnt post a MAYDAY thread looking for any help the other posts that I read dealing with this exact same topic were a huge help so thanks everyone.

Listen to these people!!!!!!!

I know .... what a long first post ..... sweet blahg etc etc.

Congrats! And thanks for USING the forum haha. Oh and BTW, it krausen, not klausen.

I had an Irish Red turn into Banana city one time for the same exact reason that yours did. Hopefully this recent batch of yours turns out better.

Good post! Welcome to HBT. Agreed on the tried and true "relax and have a home brew" method. Things usually work out. You have to severely screw up. Joy of Homebrewing is on Kindle and it's a great read. I read it in between brewing batches just to pick up new techniques.

Don't give up on that first batch.

I did about the same thing on my first, although I caught the fact that mine was warm about 12 hours in. It was an Irish Red Ale extract kit from Northern Brewer. I did 2 weeks primary about 3 weeks secondary and opened one at 2 weeks bottle conditioning. I am sure it wasn't as good as it should have been but it was very tasty and they didn't last too long.

I love reading threads like this. After a bazillion batches I'm as obsessed as ever but there's nothing like that first batch! It's gonna be great! Enjoy!

So that explains why I couldnt find any results when I googled "60 hours no Klausen" ......... I was apparently trying to find info about pickles instead of beer and Krausens.

Latest posts

Back