30 Year old dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milldoggy

Reaction score
All,
On a recent CL score, I got a ton of 30 year old Redstar Champagne and Montrachet yeast, mead yest, and a bunch of yeast that is in a ketchup like package.

Should I try something with it? Just to see if 30 year dry yeast is still viable?

I think it would be fun to see what happens. But I doubt it's gonna be all that viable. Ut might end up being that you are set for life for yeast food to add during the boil.

But it would be a great experiment to try that yeast. I mean if 45 million year old yeast that was encased in amber turned out to be viable enough to make a beer with, then yours just might be as well.

Give it a shot!

Subscribed in the event you try making a starter... I'd love to see the results (especially side-by-side with a fresh pack of dry yeast)

It'll be interesting to see what it does! Probably have to make a starter and massively overpitch to get the starter cooking.

If nothing else you've just picked up the cheapest yeast nutrient your likely to ever get your hands on!

Since they are wine yeast, any ideas on a beer style to test them out? I do ten gallon batches, so I could use US05 in one, and a few packets of the old dry in the other. Then compare the results.

Back