Feeding Yeast for Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
Okay, just a little nervous because tomorrow is my brew day for my first Barleywine.

I've read about "feeding the yeast".. I've seen yeast nutrient at the lhbs etc. How when do I use this?

Do you have a yeast starter prepared? Are you using dry yeast? What yeast are you using? What's the target O.G./F.G.?

I've only used nutrients in mead, so I'll let someone else answer this for ya but I'll be watching cause I'm thinking of doing a .1314 O.G. Wee Heavy:ban:!

Schlante,
Phillip

I normally add the yeast nutrient to the primary when I pitch the yeast. Just follow the manufacturers directions for the amount (typically 1 or 2 teaspoons for 5 gallons I think). I think some people will also add some during the primary fermentation after a few days but I don't think that's necessary unless you are trying to help a stuck or "sticky" fermentation.

You can add it just about any time. There are two kinds: Di-Ammonium phosphate and yeast hulls. I use the yeast hulls.

Yeast hulls are basically dead yeast cells. You boil them and they break down into the chemical components. Then new yeast can use the nutrients to build new cell walls.

I've added it to a starter when all I really wanted to do was partially kick start the yeast off at the beginning of my brew day (got airlock activity in my starter in 3 hours, airlock activity in my primary in 1 hour).

Typically, though, I add it in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I'll also say that I've taken to adding it to my extract brews to make sure I have enough FAN. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Amino_Nitrogen

Back