Rhubarb-Citrus Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinJ

Reaction score
There is a new recipe I want to try. I plan on carbonating with yeast not seltzer though.

Kevin

A Vermont Spring Tonic: Rhubarb-Citrus Soda

Use pink (not green) rhubarb for the most gorgeous sunrise shade," notes "Cooking with Shelburne Farms," which adds that this "also makes an elegant base for a sparkling white wine cocktail."

* 4 cups (about 1 pound) chopped rhubarb
* 2 quarts water
* 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
* 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 cup honey, plus more to taste
* 2 quarts plain seltzer, chilled

Put the rhubarb and water into a large pot set over high heat. Cover the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.

Pour the orange and lemon juices and honey into a 3-quart or larger container.

Pour the hot rhubarb through a strainer into the container, pressing on the rhubarb to release all the flavor. Discard the rhubarb.

Whisk to dissolve the honey in the warm liquid. Taste and add more honey if desired, keeping in mind that you will be diluting the base with seltzer.

Cool to room temperature and then refrigerate in a sealed container.

When ready to use, pour some of the rhubarb base into a glass and add seltzer in roughly equal parts to achieve the desired flavor and carbonation level. The base should keep in the refrigerator for up to a month.

Makes 1 gallon

I have tried doing the same thing, only i used 1/2 cup honey and a half cup light brown sugar. Instead of seltzer water, i put a raisin in each bottle and let it carb up. It was definately one of the best sodas I have ever tasted and plan on doing a five gallon batch soon.

Not sure I would use natural yeasts. You could get strange results or infection. I prefer to use lab yeasts. Quicker and less risk of infection.

If you are doing natural yeasts. The other fruit would probably supply enough yeast so you would not need to use the raisins.

I think I would play with the sugar types also. Not sure about brown sugar in this light tasting drink. Maybe a "sugar in the raw" or white sugar or honey (or a blend of these). Brown sugar may have to much of a molasses taste.

Kevin

Not sure I would use natural yeasts. You could get strange results or infection. I prefer to use lab yeasts. Quicker and less risk of infection.

If you are doing natural yeasts. The other fruit would probably supply enough yeast so you would not need to use the raisins.

I think I would play with the sugar types also. Not sure about brown sugar in this light tasting drink. Maybe a "sugar in the raw" or white sugar or honey (or a blend of these). Brown sugar may have to much of a molasses taste.

Kevin

I would really like to try this recipe, thanks for sharing kevinJ.
Could this work just as well by adding all boiled ingredients to my gallon carboy. And pitching some yeast to it?

Latest posts

Back