I am giving up beer for 30 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaGoalie

Reaction score
That may not seem like that big of deal, but it is for me. I have at least one glass of my home brewed beer every day. I mean every, single, day.

Due to some health issues, stress, and generally wanting to get in a little better shape, I am giving up beer for 30 days - May 26-June 26.

I am going to keep a daily journal right here on HBT.

Today is May 22 - I've enjoyed some Left Hand nitro brews on tap at a local taphouse (in San Diego), then came home and drank a few Lagunitas Pale Ales and now onto Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ales. Feeling quite good....

Cheers!

More power to ya, man. It would be tough for me too, but you know ya gotta do it, otherwise you wouldn't have made the decision. I should do it too sometime............just not now! Be strong my friend.

Best of luck brother.. Last time I gave up beer for a month (a year and a half ago) I messed with my kegerator's thermostat and adjusted it to be able to ferment a lager.. then put it back to 30 something degrees to lager said lager.

I only lagered it a week or week and a half before I started getting into it... wish I would've been more patient because as it was almost done it became really really good tasting.

Once I move to a bigger space, a keezer is in order and the kegerator will become a ferm chamber so I can lager year round. 'Cause man, I love my higher gravity belgians and other beers, but sometimes I want a nice crisp clean lager around 5% to drink and drink.

Best of luck brother.. Last time I gave up beer for a month (a year and a half ago) I messed with my kegerator's thermostat and adjusted it to be able to ferment a lager.. then put it back to 30 something degrees to lager said lager.

I only lagered it a week or week and a half before I started getting into it... wish I would've been more patient because as it was almost done it became really really good tasting.

Once I move to a bigger space, a keezer is in order and the kegerator will become a ferm chamber so I can lager year round. 'Cause man, I love my higher gravity belgians and other beers, but sometimes I want a nice crisp clean lager around 5% to drink and drink.

What I would give to have a reliable lager setup. Would love to brew a nice Oktoberfest or slightly hoppy, yet clean crisp lager....

There is a fairly standard test to see if alcohol is a problem in your life; put a six-pack of beer in your fridge and vow to drink only one per day for six days. If you are unable to drink only one per day, you need to assess your lifestyle.
This idea comes from a couple of old guys known only as Bill W. and Dr. Bob.

Holding off the beers was ok as I had run out, but I have drunk loads of Schotch!
Good luck wth your 30days.

Doing the same here, trying to drop weight, going the low carb route for a while, been a couple of weeks so far, I miss my beer, have 4 in the kegerator and two ready to keg, one of which is my first russian imperial stout. But I have lost twenty pounds and want to keep this up for a bit before I occasionally have a beer once a week or something while still trying to lose weight. Ran my butt off on the treadmill lady night instead of a typical have 4-5 home brews on a Friday night.

That may not seem like that big of deal, but it is for me. I have at least one glass of my home brewed beer every day. I mean every, single, day.

Due to some health issues, stress, and generally wanting to get in a little better shape, I am giving up beer for 30 days - May 26-June 26.

I am going to keep a daily journal right hear on HBT.

Today is May 22 - I've enjoyed some Left Hand nitro brews on tap at a local taphouse (in San Diego), then came home and drank a few Lagunitas Pale Ales and now onto Lagunitas Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ales. Feeling quite good....

Cheers!

Best of luck to ya! I recently did the same after going to the bar and waking up in a jail cell with some new bruises.... It's not easy but most definitely doable. Lost a good 10 lbs without changing anything else:D stay strong brother

At first I thought "why give up beer to be healthy?", because in my mind it's easy more important to learn how to be healthy WHILE drinking beer, it's not an " either/or". But bruises and blackouts would be a damn good reason to give it up, probably for more than 30 days...
I've maintained a 100+ pound weight loss for more that 10 years, and have 1-3 beers every single day. Usually just one with dinner, but sometimes more with friends or while brewing. The key for me is to choose my indulgences. You won't find chips, cookies, cakes, pies or ice cream in my house. I'll eat those things now and then, but it has to be really worth it, and always when I'm somewhere else. And my fridge, freezer and pantry are also filled with whole foods, and very little processed food. Pasta is whole wheat, rice is brown, bread had to be kept in the freezer because it would go bad before we could get through a loaf. I shoot for 15000 steps a day using a fit bit.
I guess I'm just trying to say that if you're trying to be healthier, only quit the things you could live without for a lifetime, and learn balance for the things you love.

Thanks to all. I won't be giving up brewing during this time, in fact I've got a few in the pipeline that I'll be excited to try come June 26:

A Sam Adams Summer Ale clone
A hoppy as hell light wheat summer drinker
And two bottles of one-year-old bourbon dubbel
Also brewing an amber this weekend

One of my beers will be turned in to the San Diego County Fair homebrew competition tomorrow, which takes place sometime in June. So lots of beer happenings, but no beer drinking. My better half will be joining me in this quest as well, as she has become quite the connoisseur of my brews...

Happy Saturday everyone!

I wish you the best! Anything is possible when you put your mind to it and have the proper motivation.

I went sober for 14 months, from Oct '09 to Jan 2, 2011. My drinking had become out of control and totaling my car w/o getting injured or injuring anyone else (except the tree) and somehow by the grace of God avoiding a DWI was my 'Come to Jesus' moment.

My sobriety helped me reevaluate my drinking, what I drank, where I drank, and most importantly why I drank.

The hardest part for me wasn't not drinking but still being social w/o drinking. One thing I learned was to always bring your own non-alcoholic beverage when visiting friends and family. I created some pretty tasty sparkling water/juice cocktails which lowered the calories and were refreshing. Juice alone can be pretty high in calories. I also took that sobriety time to quit smoking and my lungs thank me everyday.

Again, I wish you the best! Keep brewing and start on a great pipeline for when you step off the wagon. It'll be worth it in the end.

May 24 -

Started the day by turning in my submission for the San Diego County Fair homebrew competition. Got two free fair tickets and a really nice t-shirt, along with two beer tasting tickets for the competition - nice!

We then hit Culture Brewing's Solana Beach tasting room. Had an Amarillo Session IPA, 4.8%, wayyyy too bitter. I love Amarillo hops, but this beer was a bit off.

We then walked to Pizza Port for a few slices, where the wife and I shared a pitcher of their California Honey Ale and then I had a pint of Swami's IPA.

The night ended with some homebrew and a share six pack of Left Hand Milk Stout on Nitro at friend's BBQ.

24 hours until the 30 days of no beer begins!!!

Good luck to you! We have a club member that does this yearly. Mostly so his tolerance drops, but hey, to each his own.

I agree with you Black Island Brewer. I cut out all the junk a couple years back. Started hitting the Gym regularly, and finding physical events on the weekend instead of sitting around all day. Originally 300lbs, and still struggle in the 210s area, but I've never felt better. I've found a balance I'm happy with, and urge everyone to do the same. Especially if something in your life has become a problem.

It is very admirable to go without for 30 days and to share your experiences with us of your journey. Be strong!

I am going to keep a daily journal right hear on HBT.

Cheers!

I pick one month a year to be my dry month; this gives my liver a break. Hell, they even gave the green line Russian hockey player one month a year off! The toughest part is not having beer when I get home from work or when having dinner. But after a week of thinking something is missing from dinner, it is not such a big deal. Fried fish and chips however is a sore disappointment without a pint.

Just want to let you know that I've been inspired by this thread to embark on my own beer (and other alcoholic beverages) avoidance campaign. My fiancee is joining me.

We've both been struggling to diet for a while now, and drinking definitely has a large impact on our calorie intake. We're going to lay off the drinks until we are half-way to our goal weight. That's losing 20 pounds for me... It's going to be a LONG summer.

Here to post support for ArizonaGoalie. Be strong man!

I've been wondering about myself the last few weeks and after 36 oz/day for the last 4 days it may be time for me to back off as well.

All the best to you guys that are contemplating a the water/juice wagon.I stopped drinking any kind of alcohol for 7 years as I was afraid if I had one drink, one-hundred wouldn't be enough. As it works out, that is not the case so I can enjoy a cold one or two when I am in the mood.

I've given up alcohol for Lent before. It was definitely a sacrifice, but not too bad. You can do it! And that first beer you have will be that much sweeter!

One thing I wouldn't recommend is if you go to an old college buddy's house and he suggests playing beer pong, don't play with O'douls. Terrible decision...

Good luck. I'd love to try skipping beer for a while, but I would miss it. I'd already can't drink enough to keep up with my brewing desire. If I didn't drink at least once a day my supply would far exceed my intake.

And there is the health benefits. It's actually not bad for stress (in moderation) and good for your heart. There may be other health reasons to skip drinking, so I'm not saying it's the right thing for everyone at all times.

I could probably balance some of my drinking with some water or tea now that it's warmer out.

Good luck with quitting for a month. I usually take a month off of drinking and any junk food once or twice a year. It makes me feel better, and much more in control.

If you drink in moderation (like the equivalent of a 12 oz average ABV beer or two a day), and don't have other health problems, quitting for a month will have very few positive side effects, and maybe even some negatives... But overall, it'll probably be a net wash, though it may help in the weight department if you're carrying a few extra pounds.

If you're drinking more heavily, than taking a month off here and there is actually quite beneficial to your health (though much better to keep your drinking in moderation on a regular basis).

The problem with many homebrewers (and I'm often guilty of this myself) is that we say that we only drink, let's say, one to three beers a day. Well, this doesn't sound bad... But we are often drinking high-ABV brews, and that 1-3 brews may be the equivalent of 2-6 drinks a day. In addition, a lot of us keg our beeers and enjoy using glasses larger than your standard 12 oz drink.

But, worst of all, is that we often use our "baseline" average when we state how much we drink. Lets say that we usually drink two beers a day. Well, for a guy, times seven days, that's about 14 drinks a week, which isn't generally considered problem drinking. However, if our baseline is two a day, but then we drink quite a bit more on Fridays and Saturdays... and holidays... and other special occasions... and, well, I think you catch my drift, that adds up to quite a bit more than 14 drinks a week, even if we label ourselves as two-beer-a-day drinkers.

This isn't meant as a sermon or to talk down to anyone, but just a little something to keep in mind if you're ever in the mood to self-reflect.

Signed,

a doctor who sometimes likes to self-reflect

Just want to let you know that I've been inspired by this thread to embark on my own beer (and other alcoholic beverages) avoidance campaign. My fiancee is joining me.

We've both been struggling to diet for a while now, and drinking definitely has a large impact on our calorie intake. We're going to lay off the drinks until we are half-way to our goal weight. That's losing 20 pounds for me... It's going to be a LONG summer.

I'm on board for this challenge. I'd been meaning to do this for a while. My problem isn't so much the amount of alcohol I drink, it's that I snack and just generally eat like a pig when I'm having a few.

Thanks ArizonaGoalie for providing the motivation.

I'm on board for this challenge. I'd been meaning to do this for a while. My problem isn't so much the amount of alcohol I drink, it's that I snack and just generally eat like a pig when I'm having a few.

Thanks ArizonaGoalie for providing the motivation.

So true. Beer calories can add up, but it's the lowered self-control that really does me in.

But, worst of all, is that we often use our "baseline" average when we state how much we drink. Lets say that we usually drink two beers a day. Well, for a guy, times seven days, that's about 14 drinks a week, which isn't generally considered problem drinking. However, if our baseline is two a day, but then we drink quite a bit more on Fridays and Saturdays... and holidays... and other special occasions... and, well, I think you catch my drift, that adds up to quite a bit more than 14 drinks a week, even if we label ourselves as two-beer-a-day drinkers.

My MOS in the Marines required a security clearance. It came time for my class to go in for their interviews. It was a pretty intense experience because failing meant you got set to hump a mortar baseplate around the desert for the next four years.

One of our guys comes out looking like he'd been put through the wringer:
Me: "how'd it go?"
Him: "Not good, they asked me how much I drank"
M: "Annnd?..."
"I asked him if he meant in a month, a week, or a day... He said how much in a day? I asked him if he meant a weekday or a weekend day, cause I drink a lot more on weekends. So he asked how much on weekends and I told him it would usually be two cases"

...he didn't get his security clearance.

Another guy, the Wikipedia definition of a country bumpkin, comes out, looking like someone had just shot his favorite dog...
it's worth noting that we were hooked up to a polygraph machine and they usually ask some question to try to elicit a strong emotional reaction just to use as a baseline...

"How'd it go?"
"Oh man, I don't even want to talk about it"
"C'mon man, what happened?"
"He asked me if I'd ever had sex with animals!"
Long pause "Aaaannnndd?"
"I never had sex with animals, but before I could think I blurted out 'Do you mean BIG animals?'"

On a semi-regular basis after this, someone would mention to him that "chickens count"

He did get his clearance.

Best of luck. It's been about a year and a half since I gave up beer for any really amount of time. I remember the hardest part was not replacing it with anything else, like snacking or some such. Unlike similar experiments with basically anything else, I wanted a beer every single day.

There is a fairly standard test to see if alcohol is a problem in your life; put a six-pack of beer in your fridge and vow to drink only one per day for six days. If you are unable to drink only one per day, you need to assess your lifestyle.
This idea comes from a couple of old guys known only as Bill W. and Dr. Bob.

I know and am related to a few friends of Bill W. I have had to endure all talk about "abuse & addiction" during many family gatherings, sober holiday parities and any time I stop in to see certain family members. I know I dont have a problem. I have spoken to people who have problems. Go to any 12 step meeting and listen. If you can relate or top their store, maybe you should attend more frequently.

https://ncadd.org/learn-about-alcohol/alcohol-abuse-self-test

I took the test and score a 4- so according to "them" I have an issue.
Like I said, I have 1 with dinner. Maybe 1 or 2 more on weekends. Some of of the people I know drank what ever they found and lost entire weeks to it.

"They say as soon you have to cut down on your drinking, you have a drinking problem"- Don Draper

My problem isn't so much the amount of alcohol I drink, it's that I snack and just generally eat like a pig when I'm having a few.

my problem is not the beer, but the bag of chips I inhale after having the beer!
I have thought of going on the wagon for a while, but summer is the worst time. Too much outside time, and event that call for a cold one.

I may join you but belatedly (not sure if that is a word) in the winter!
But then again who am I kidding, I am already playing my winter brews!

I'll never join you, Satan!

At the beginning of the year I went 2 months without drinking any alcohol for some health reasons. I lost a good amount of weight watching what I was eating and avoiding empty calories. Thankfully the doctor gave me an okay, and that the health issue was a false alarm (nothing was actually wrong). Needless to say, beer and I are back together and the weight found it's way back into my belly.

So yesterday was my last day with beer and I kept it fairly mellow.

Enjoyed a Kimtra Triple IPA - 10oz - at a local tap house. Early evening I cracked a bottle of Ommegang Three Philosophers and savored the goodness. Ended the night with a bottle of my own cream ale, and then kissed beer goodbye for 30 days.

It's time and in a strange way I'm looking forward to it. A reset of sorts. We'll see what happens.....day one begins....

Back