Red Stripe Ads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmonkey

Reaction score
Seen the new Red Stripe T.V. ads? They're running on TLC , I think. One of them has a gentleman dressed in tails and a sash explaining how Red Stripe makes ugly people beautiful. The ad finishes with the guy cheering " Yay Beer!" . Bet you could sell anything with the proper application of a Jamaican. Yay, credit card debt! Yay, lung cancer! Gotta get me some of that.

They run on ESPN durring PTI. They replaced the Guiness guys as a sponser. I like the 'Helping our white brothers dance for 75 yrs' one.

Haven't seen that one yet. There's another ad by another company that ends with a bus full of Jamaicans arguing over whether the bus is early or late. This guy behind the bus on a bike says: " Oh, no ! Total gridlock ! " . Don't know what they're selling, but I'm sure I need some. :drunk:

sudsmonkey said:
Haven't seen that one yet. There's another ad by another company that ends with a bus full of Jamaicans arguing over whether the bus is early or late. This guy behind the bus on a bike says: " Oh, no ! Total gridlock ! " . Don't know what they're selling, but I'm sure I need some. :drunk:

That one's for Malibu rum, I think. I like the "melon stand" one. "Sir, that melon is for display purposes only!" :D

I like the Red Stripe ads, too. Hooray beer!

Just out of curiosity...is Red Stripe any good? I've never had one. And what's the lure of Jamaica? :confused:

There are few beers I've bought and never made it to the bottom of the bottle. Red Stripe was one of them. Dragon Stout, another Jamaican product, was another.

El Pistolero said:
Just out of curiosity...is Red Stripe any good? I've never had one. And what's the lure of Jamaica? :confused:

IMO, Red Stripe is in the same vein as Heineken, Grolsch etc. Slightly skunky tasting lager. I used to like it, but I have't had one in ages. I do like the bottles, though.

You do get around. I envy you that. I tried a Red Stripe years ago when I was an unreconstructed commercial brew swiller. As I recall, it had an aftertaste that was much like dry dog food smells. El P. - I think the draw of the Jamaicans is that they're always portrayed as happy, fun-loving people. I looked at a job down there a few years ago. Talking with a lady at the Jamaican consulate in Miami about work visas for my crew, etc., I asked what the attitude towards Americans was there. She assured me that they love Americans . I explained that I would be building a cable system outside the resort areas and I felt sure that not everybody there was the happy Rastafari that we see on TV. Turns out, Jamaica is just like the rest of the world, they only sound cooler.

sudsmonkey said:
El P. - I think the draw of the Jamaicans is that they're always portrayed as happy, fun-loving people.
Oh, I thought maybe it was because jerk chicken is legal down there. :confused:

sudsmonkey said:
Turns out, Jamaica is just like the rest of the world, they only sound cooler.

Yeah, it is quite impoverished outside of the resort compounds. My wife and I spent 5 days at the Sandals resort and took one outside trip and it looked almost like Hiate. ..poverty everywhere...trash everywhere ,junk cars, lose dogs, chickens living amongst the locals ..felt kinda bad ..for a moment till I heard Bob Marley wailing in the background. Decided to stay inside the resort
didn't like the looks the locals gave all the tour buses. Maybe they just don't like buses...

Latest posts

Back