A-Amylase in place of filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachmaelBenApplebaum

Reaction score
Anyone tried dosing with alpha amylase to have a less milky end product? I'm just curious about its efficacy, not that I'm very particular about drinking muddy-looking beverage.

If you add enough amalyse and give it enough time most all the starches and carbs can be broken down but in a high alcohol environment the time needed to break that down would be enough for it to all drop out of suspension sooner. So cold crashing is the best option IMO to get it clear.

I actually prefer straining Sake through butter muslin and wringing the sediment mostly dry because that stuff can keep in Tupperware for over a year and for future batches I take 50 or 100 grams of the lees, mix in a cup of water with a pinch of sugar and yeast nutrient and add 1/2tsp of amalyse enzyme. It makes a great yeast starter for a new batch but even after 3 days there is still rice sediment. Takes a long while for the enzymes to eat all that stuff away.

Latest posts

Back