One of my Scobies is floating the other one is at the bottom in the same brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tadow

Reaction score
1st time brewing. I have 2 small scoby for a 3 gallon container. Its Jun so I used honey and green tea instead of black tea and sugar.

One of my scoby sank to the bottom and the other one is near the top with jellyfish looking web/tentacles.

Is this normal? shouldnt they both be doing the same thing? both sink or both near the top?

thanks

This can definitely happen. If they look ok then I wouldn't worry about it. Keep in mind that honey has antibacterial qualities and can inhibit the growth and/or health of the mother. In general I use honey only when I don't intend to harvest and reuse the mother. I haven't tried repeated honey fermentations of Jun.

I never did Jun. Only good 'ol Kombucha, but my understanding is that the Jun type are intended to be fed honey and green tea. But as the TheBrewingChemist says as long as there's a healthy looking one on top, you should be good, the second can float or sink.

OK thanks.

So I checked up on it today and something very weird is happening. There is a vertical mucusy substance connecting the 2 scobies together. So it looks kind of like an hour glass shape of mucus. widest and thickest at the top and bottom but then connected by a thin vertical stream. Im assuming this is my scoby growing and filling out the container.

pictures might help.

Jun also has a shorter fermentation time than regular Kombucha doesn't it?
how long has this batch been going?

this is the 3rd day which I think normally may be good enough but my Scobies are way undersized and need to grow... im prepared for my first brew to be the worst for this reason. I have 2 tiny scoby in a 3 gallon jar. Right now they just seem to have a cloud of mucus around them.. Im assuming thats the bacteria and yeast pancake starting to form to fit the container

Back