Drying wheat grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harshbansal

Reaction score
Hello brewers
Just starting to brew my own beer at home. And i am facing a lot of problems. I managed to germinate my wheat. But i dont know how to dry the wheat. And everytime i sun dried it the outside temp roasted the grain and it was completly spoilt. I was wondering should i dry the grains at all ??? Cant i just grind the wet grain and use it in the mash.
And how much sugar should i use to for making a good wheat beer.

Welcome to the forum. There are some threads here about home malting. In general, you want to germinate the grain as you've done, and let the rootlet grow to 1/3-1/2 the length of the husk. If you don't have a better option for drying, you can dry the grain by pouring a few pounds into a pillowcase or similar, and tossing it into your dryer on low heat. Where are you that outside temps would roast the grain?! Don't use any sugar for a wheat beer. Half wheat malt and half barley is a perfectly good start. There are lots of recipes over here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/

Hi Dwarven
I am from India. And the outside temp is 40 c. Nearly 100 f. Well the reason i write to you is i am a new. In india i am not supposed to brew beer by law. So we dont have access to quality grains.

Anyway we get good quality wheat i hope thats good enough for brewing. I am a little skeptical because before sundrying the grains they were giving out a nice sweet smell. But after a couple of hours in the sun the sweetness was lost. Is that normal ??

And if that is normal can you please guide me as to how long should i dry the grains for.

And one last question. What if i dont dry the grains at all.What if i just gring the grains while they are moist. I am quiet sure we can extract the sweetness out of the moist grains. Is that going to be all right or do i sound like a total new idiot.

But anyway Thanks a lot dwarven for such a quick reply. Will hear from you soon.

Back