AB jumping on the IPA bandwagon it seems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
So this is completely unconfirmed, but this post showed up on my facebook wall this morning:

ABIPA.png

Not sure if this is old news or not, but it's the first I've heard of AB actually trying to break into the craft industry. If this actually makes it to production I'm really curious as to how they'll market it.

Reminds me of the old generic food labels. Like the white cans that just said "BEER". It was ok stuff when you're broke. I wonder who's gunna produce it for them?

The problem with them doing an IPA is in some states they have a ABV% restriction. It utah here it is no higher than 3.2% sold in grocery stores or gas stations. If you want higher you have to purchase through state liquor stores.

And i dont know about you but any low % IPA just does not taste right.

The problem with them doing an IPA is in some states they have a ABV% restriction. It utah here it is no higher than 3.2% sold in grocery stores or gas stations. If you want higher you have to purchase through state liquor stores.

They did just release BL Platinum not too long ago, which they flaunt around as being a whopping 6.0% abv. I'm sure with that considered, they wouldn't attempt to push a 3.2% IPA on people.

Isn't it 4% ABV (3.2% alcohol by weight) in Utah?

Also Budweiser is around 5% ABV, so if AHB wants to muscle in on IPA sales, I'm not sure they'll let one or two states package laws deter them.

This isn't their first foray into the beer with taste arena, mid 90s they had a line of beers that weren't half bad. There was one in particular that I would actually oder at a multitap bar next to the pub where I worked. They called in Munchner (I think I spelled that right) it was a malty lager in the Vienna/Marzen range. Some of the others in the series were pretty good, some not so.

AB has had many attempts to get into the craft beer market over the years. This is nowhere near the first time. They own a whole portfolio of craft beers, including a very big one, Goose Island.

AB has had many attempts to get into the craft beer market over the years. This is nowhere near the first time. They own a whole portfolio of craft beers, including a very big one, Goose Island.
This was my thoughts...with I could care less what BMC does since I will not buy it.

True, but I'm interpreting this as an Anheuser-Busch branded IPA, not a previously independent brewery buyout.

They had something called the "All American Ale" a little while back that I was convinced was actually a less watered down version of their adjunct lager. It wasn't good, but it was less terrible than Bud and Bud Light. I just don't like lighter lagers I guess.

True, but I'm interpreting this as an Anheuser-Busch branded IPA, not a previously independent brewery buyout.

They don't always buy out a brewery. Sometimes they'll just make it look like a craft beer. I know Shock Top often gets confused as a microbrew. I'm interested in seeing how this pans out. I estimate that they'll put the bare minimum hops that their cost analysis dictates.

They had something called the "All American Ale" a little while back that I was convinced was actually a less watered down version of their adjunct lager. It wasn't good, but it was less terrible than Bud and Bud Light. I just don't like lighter lagers I guess.

It was just "American Ale". It wasn't bad at all, an attempt at a pale ale. Bottles (both 12's and 22's) used pry caps, which made them, especially the bombers, great for building your homebrew bottle count. I bought several cases of the 22's for bottling long-storage high ABV beers.

Back