871 steps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydventer

Reaction score
Here in South Africa they've launched "Foundry Premium Cider".

This is what they say in the ad:

"Brewed according to age-old cider making traditions, the master brewers follow a meticulous and time-consuming 871 step process to ensure that every drop meets with their high standards."

I'm just wondering: 871 steps?!?!?! could that be true, or is it B.S.??

I cant find a webpage where they explain it in more detail though.

342. Pick up spoon again.
343. Move spoon closer to must.
344. Partially submerge spoon in must.
345. Move spoon in circular motion
346. Stop circular motion.

I googled it and the only thing I could find marketing info on it...You do know it is owned by SAB MILLER don't you? So it's basically just another BMC version of cider, with a typical HUGE and LYING marketing campaign...

THe only thing I can figure is that since there's only 7 steps to making cider, they must use 864 apples and are counting the steps for each apple...

I googled it and the only thing I could find marketing info on it...You do know it is owned by SAB MILLER don't you? So it's basically just another BMC version of cider, with a typical HUGE and LYING marketing campaign...

THe only thing I can figure is that since there's only 7 steps to making cider, they must use 864 apples and are counting the steps for each apple...

I like your HUGE and LYING marketing campaign slogan! Isn't that the truth!

From the marketing guys standpoint it is not lying. It is just omitting certain pesky details...

Not really anything new. Some examples...

"Frost brewed" Coors ???
"Cold Filtered" MGD (yeah, so what?)
"Selected as America's best in 1893 PABST Blue Ribbon. WOW, it was the best, so it must still be eh?
Uh, well I don't really pay much attention to mass media so, I cannot recall any others.

They are all "true" claims, but do not mean much. Except "frost brewed" I have no idea how that works?

From the marketing guys standpoint it is not lying. It is just omitting certain pesky details...

"Selected as America's best in 1893 PABST Blue Ribbon.

The story of the Blue ribbon is a fascinating bit of marketing lies...erm I mean "selective stretching of the truth"...:D

Here's the version in the PBR marketing stuff...

The famous "Blue Ribbon" label did not get started until 1882. Prior to 1882, Phillip Best Brewing Company had received awards for their beer. In 1876, Pabst won both the highest awards for bottled beer and a gold medal. In 1878 at a Paris World’s Fair, Pabst again won more medals.

In 1882, bottling became significantly important to the brewing business. When bottles were first used, these were generally plain and were not appealing to the public. Pabst decided to add pieces of blue ribbons tied around the necks of Best "Select" beer bottles. It didn’t take long before the public continued to ask for "The beer with the blue ribbon." By 1892, this special packaging idea became so popular that the company was purchasing 300,000 yards of silk ribbons, which workers tied by hand around each bottle. In 1895, words "Blue Ribbon" were eventually added to the label of Select Beer, and in January 1898, the Blue Ribbon label was first used.

But, To the contrary, there is evidence to suggest that no such award was given, as contemporaneous accounts indicate that many vendors were frustrated by the Paris World fair's refusal to award such prizes.

One account says that the only prizes awarded by the executive committee were bronze medals in recognition of "some independent and essential excellence in the article displayed," rather "than merely to indicate the relative merits of competing exhibits.

The whole dirty tale is in chapter 3 of Maureen Ogle's fantastic and eye openning history of American Brewing, Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer by Maureen Ogle

Back